How many happy with their Win Mod 70s

I own two Model 70's one in 300WSM, one in 270WSM and I am very happy with both of them. They both are very accurate for factory guns.

My Mod 70 was originally chambered in 270 WSM it might of had a crooked bbl and was straightened out at factory. It was ok for 3 shots then threw the rest. Had it re-barreled to 7mm WSM with a Brux cut rifled bbl.Gun smith didn't free float the for arm. First time shoot accuracy was fair,I floated forearm and it shot better. then learned of a proper sequence in tightening the tang screws. Did that and now I have a shooter.At first I was quite frustrated .

My favorite rifle is based on model 70 heavy varmint before I shot the barrel out. The pictures below where shot from that rifle @ 100 yards. It's been trued with a Krieger. I have another rifle being built right now that will also be based on a model 70 LA. I really like how simple of an action it is, only a handful of working parts compared to some of the new actions out there.

IMG_20101208_181153.jpg

IMG_20101208_181202.jpg

I currently own a Win 70 HVB in .243 and am very pleased with it. It consistently shoots 1/4" groups, and smaller, at 100yds and sub 1/2 MOA out to 500yds. Awesome little rifle. JohnnyK.

I liked all of mine.

Some of them took a little work to make shoot but they all did eventually. Some pretty well too. I don't think any of them shot worse than 1.5moa on a bad day after I got done working on them. A number of them basically just got the trigger lightened and smoothed and maybe the barrel free floated and they shot very well. At least you can work on them easily which is more than can be said of some other brands.

I have some pretty decent groups shot from model 70 sporters hanging on the wall...like one from a 270 that is 3 shots in .340 at 300 yards and the same rifle at 100yards with one slightly ragged hole for 3 shots. I have a 40 year old model770 243 that shoots 55g BT's into .5" still(at 4000+fps).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.