300 win mag recoil? How many shots?

The recoil on my 7mmSTW is similar to my buddy's .300 WM. I have shot 60+ rounds in a day out of my STW (no muzzle brake) and sure my shoulder will be sore the next day, but not so sore I can't use it. Pop you a few Advils before you go to sleep. Wake up, pop 2 more, and you should be good to go.

I don't own any 6.5's b/c of how close in diameter they are to the 7mm's, and I have a number of 7mm rifles in different calibers. So for me, it would be kind of redundant to own a 6.5 and 7mm. Although, both are very good calibers. The 6.5's I hear awesome things about.

I do like the .300 WM, but not enough to own one. It is an excellent caliber. I reload for one. One of my buddies has one, and I reload for his rifle, so I have gotten pretty good and knowledgeable on reloading for them. LOL

6.5-284 is a hell of round. Depending on what you are doing with it, should depend on what caliber you go with... For example, if you're hunting whitetails.....The 6.5-284 should be more than sufficient. If you're hunting whitetails and possible other larger game, the .300 WM might be a better alternative.

Man, it all comes down to personal preference man....It's all in whatever YOU will feel most comfortable with, is whatever you will be the most confident with when you are shooting at that distance.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to go with. gun)

Barrel life? No problem.

Back in the days of the .300 Win Mag's popularity in long range matches, folks shooting the best scores got about 1000 rounds of accurate life before it got bad enough to be noticed. They would start out shooting under 3/4 MOA at 1000 but by then the shots started to miss calls a bit more. Mayby 1/4 MOA or a bit more.

Those not shooting quite as good of scores claimed more barrel life. I shot next to a guy one day who claimed his .300 Win Mag still drove tacks after 2000 rounds. But he couldn't keeps his shots inside the 36" five-ring on the old long range target.

I agree, but I think you can get a bit more than 1000 if you are easy on the barrel during long range hunting style (no competition here) practice was more to my point.

I have seen guys that are real gentle on them and set the barrel back once at around 1000 round mark, then go on to get close to 1500 rounds.
I have never been so lucky (or that patient) and as soon as I feel that throat roughness with the bore mop (or see it with my bore scope) its off to the smith for another tube.
I can not be bothered to set a barrel back, but I mention it for guys on a tight budget.

FWIW My last 300Rum didn't make 700 rounds and looked heavily frosted by 500.
What a cranky rig!

Never buy a bore scope! :)

well i just ordered my 300 win mag. I dont do competition shooting. I am the type of guy who shoots one round every 5 minutes. And i shoot 20-30 rounds a session.

so what do you guys think would be my barrel life?

well i just ordered my 300 win mag. I dont do competition shooting. I am the type of guy who shoots one round every 5 minutes. And i shoot 20-30 rounds a session.

so what do you guys think would be my barrel life?

To 1/2 moa long range hunting standards, 1500 plus easy. I ordered another Broghton 5C a week ago. I asked Tim North of Broughton Barrels when I should expect my existing tube to go. I will not even post what he told me. But it was way way more than some imply, including myself. Don't take my word for it, call him and ask. I would say he probably has as much first hand experience with a 300 win barrel than anyone I know.

Jeff

To 1/2 moa long range hunting standards, 1500 plus easy. I ordered another Broghton 5C a week ago. I asked Tim North of Broughton Barrels when I should expect my existing tube to go. I will not even post what he told me. But it was way way more than some imply, including myself. Don't take my word for it, call him and ask. I would say he probably has as much first hand experience with a 300 win barrel than anyone I know.

Jeff

I have no reason to doubt Broughton, but my barrels have never lived as long as they claim.

I have to put that down to my impatience (I do clean carefully and with the best of equipment), but every once in a while when shooting at steel my horns come out?

Ringing steel is like crack for the soul!
Can't....help...myself! :)

To 1/2 moa long range hunting standards, 1500 plus easy. I ordered another Broghton 5C a week ago. I asked Tim North of Broughton Barrels when I should expect my existing tube to go. I will not even post what he told me. But it was way way more than some imply, including myself.
I don't think any 30 caliber magnum barrel will shoot no worse than 5 inches at 1000 yards for even 400 shots. For anyone to claim 1500 plus would require a stretch beyond the breaking point for my mind to agree with.

The most accurate benchrest barrels shoot 7 or so inches at 1000 yards. I'm talking about the group size all their aimed shots will go into in the best conditions, not those rare 5-shot ones well under 2 inches that happen maybe once in a barrel's lifetime.

Broz, are you not posting the Broughton barrel life quoted 'cause you think Tim North will tell your Mommy on you?

I do not shoot 5 or 10 shot groups. I am no bench rest shooter I am a hunter and why I quoted long range hunting accuracy. I can tell you this, the 300 win I shoot now is the most accurate I have owned with 215 Bergers. I am approaching 1000 rounds and it will indeed shoot 1/2 moa on average. I have not changed seating depth, with either the 210 load I started with or the copied seating depth of the 215 load. In good conditions a shot outside 1/2 moa from point of aim is rare with good dope.

Bart, I will kindly ask you to use respect when addressing my mother. She has long past and she deserves it.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.