300 win mag recoil? How many shots?

gilmillan1

Hello,

I am currently debating as to what will be my first custom long range rifle. I have set my mind on two calibers, a 6.5-284 or a good old 300 win mag. I like the idea of a powerful, accurate and yet mild recoil of the 6.5, but I also like the idea of having a nice punch at 1000 with the 300 win mag.

So far the only thing that i think pushes me away from the 300 win mag is the recoil. Whichever gun I choose will have a muzzle brake. I love those things, and sound is not a problem for me.

Now the question is, how many shots can you tolerate in a braked 300 win mag before calling it quits b/c of discomfort or pain?

I am the kind of guy who likes to go out there to practice and practice. I shoot at least twice a week and each session I shoot 20-30 shots.

Can any one please help me decide?

Gil

If you go with a true, built to fit custom, and a muzzle brake you should be able to shoot it all day long unless you're exceptionally recoil sensitive. I can put 40-50 rounds through my Savage 300WM before I've had enough. That's without a brake.

Chris

I keep convincing my self that a 300 win mag is what I want. Accurate and lots of punch for lo g range. I have a nightforce atacr on order from optics planet. That's going to be my scope. So you guys think I am making the right choice by taking a 300 over a 6.5-284? Consider I already have an accurate 243 and a 270.

300wm hands down. Long range rig will have weight, coupled with good muzzle brake, proper fitting of rifle to shooter and good technique you can shoot 300 all day with no problem. I have 3 different 300wm with varying weights and brakes, so speaking from experience.

I own both calibers , braked, and set up for 1000 yard+ shooting. While the braked 6.5-284 feels like a 22-250 for recoil, the 300WM with the Elk Meadow Performance brake tames recoil so well in my 12 pound rig, it doesn't feel much more than a medium weight 308. I have a medium build and can shoot 20-30 rounds prone with no problem. I use the 6.5-284 for deer, and antelope out to 1000 yards, and coyotes at any range. No problem with elk to 600 yards. I also save a couple of pounds in a stable shooting platform over the 300WM. For deer and antelope at longer than 1000 yards, and, or larger game, I'll use the 300WM. Both are superb long range calibers, but I'm partial to the 6.5-284 because I'm primarily a deer and antelope hunter.

30-50 rounds in day with the 300Win is a lot of shooting. I normally shoot more like 20, but it is not my only rifle. Don't forget you need to keep an eye on barrel temp. In warm weather that can be a pain.
My son was shooting my 12 pound braked 300Win at 8 years old...So I would say recoil levels are not much of an issue.

To be honest when starting out I would suggest something that can be shot a lot and as inexpensively as possible. My vote would be a 260 or there abouts.

Put a good recoil pad on a 300 Win Mag and it's not bad at all to shoot.If you have a hard rubber one,that can be a whole different story.I shot almost fifty rounds shooting three different 300's last Saturday,with no problems.My rifles wear Limbsaver pads.There may be better pads,but they are among the best out there.To be quite honest with you,I don't see a whole lot of difference in recoil between my 270,30-06,7mag,7STW,300WSM,or the 300Win Mag.All these rifles wear Limbsaver pads.

My 300 weighs about 10.5lbs, with a muzzle brake and decelerator pad, it's a ***** cat. I'm not the biggest guy either and I can shoot it all day without any problem.

People have been shooting 30 to 60 rounds a day with 30 caliber magnums shoulder fired in prone matches since 1935. No muzzle brakes at all; they're not needed. Nary a wimpy complaint from heavy recoil. Even 90-pound female's been doing that. They'll put their 20 to 30 shot strings downrange one round at a time every 20 to 40 seconds apart.

And not one problem with barrel heating up from ambient temp's to very, very hot. Rifle accuracy stayed the same and point of impact never moved around as the barrels heated up.

Get a quality barrel fit correctly to your receiver and you'll never have your group center move as it heats up. If you don't understand this, find someone whose words you trust and knows why then politely ask them to explain it.

Barrel life? No problem.

Back in the days of the .300 Win Mag's popularity in long range matches, folks shooting the best scores got about 1000 rounds of accurate life before it got bad enough to be noticed. They would start out shooting under 3/4 MOA at 1000 but by then the shots started to miss calls a bit more. Mayby 1/4 MOA or a bit more.

Those not shooting quite as good of scores claimed more barrel life. I shot next to a guy one day who claimed his .300 Win Mag still drove tacks after 2000 rounds. But he couldn't keeps his shots inside the 36" five-ring on the old long range target.

I currently shoot a 300 Winmag at steel targets 500 to 1400 yards. Shooting a 215 Berger with 73 gr H1000 gives me very little recoil. I normally shoot 40 to 70 rounds a session with no noticeable recoil. The Muscle Brake from Jim See is a great brake to use on the 300. I can shoot 1200 yards with my 300 and watch the hit through the scope, the rifle just shakes a little when you pull the trigger.gun)

this was my deciding factor, and from what i read, i thin the 300 is it. I will order my new gun in 300 win mag!! thank you guys

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.