How many are interested in their CBS???

Dave,

I clean my rifles after 20 rounds. One round to foul before the deer/elk season starts. They don't get cleaned until elk season is over except for the predator rifles such as the 270 AM which won't get cleaned until 20 or so rounds are fired with may be some time next summer.

However, if I were "back east" where all of that humidity is I'd adjust accordingly.

CBS

I'm glad to see an outfiter that cares about CBS and I would
bet that if the client was ask when was the last time he/she
shot the outfiter would start using the term "Cold client shot".

But lot of these people are not accuracy nuts like some of us
and the outfiter has to keep thim out of trouble.

I have been wanting to make a Bufflalo hunt with my 45/110
Sharps with a 530gr bullet and have gotten the group down
to .827 3 shot @ 100yrd after the fouling shot .

The fouling shot open's the group up to 1.220 (not good but
better than one minute of Bufflalo).I know it's only a quarter
of an inch but at 600yrds its a lot more.

An ethical hunter should practice enough to know there weapon
and it's limits as well as there.s before going hunting.

J E CUSTOM

Of course I worry about a good first shot then we had a guy a week ago that got so wound up he missed a big bull at 75 yards then shot it in the back foot with a 338. He told my guide to start shooting so we got the bull but it was in a canyon that could have been a lot worse. This guy didn't know if he really wanted to hunt buffalo but we put him in a herd of about 80 and all the first shot practice in the world wouldn't have helped.

Couple of suggestions -
Shoot the test cold bore shot as you are most likely to shoot in field conditions, which means not off a bench with sand bags. Shooting position can change the point of impact significantly. Also, shots can move based on whether shot from off sand bags, rear bag or not, bipod, or from a ruck. Check all the scenarios that likely to occur. The results can vary, sometimes significantly.

Couple of suggestions -
Shoot the test cold bore shot as you are most likely to shoot in field conditions, which means not off a bench with sand bags. Shooting position can change the point of impact significantly. Also, shots can move based on whether shot from off sand bags, rear bag or not, bipod, or from a ruck. Check all the scenarios that likely to occur. The results can vary, sometimes significantly.

Good points and should have been brought up sooner. After initial load development I do all of my shooting off a bipod since that's what I use in the field. I'm lucky in that mine shoots the same off a pack or the bipod.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.