Hornady SST Cannelure question

tdh1971

When loading the SST for my 7mm Mag, should I seat the bullet all the way to the cannelure? I did not the first time and got very marginal groups. I would need to seat much deeper to do so.

Not being disrespectful use the advanced search and there are dozens of threads covering this. Very short answer is seat to the depth your rifle likes, and if you have to have a crimp....put the crimp to it based on the OAL your rifle likes.

Not being disrespectful use the advanced search and there are dozens of threads covering this. Very short answer is seat to the depth your rifle likes, and if you have to have a crimp....put the crimp to it based on the OAL your rifle likes.
Just make sure you have them tight enough and it doesn't matter. When I was a teenager I got all excited about barely necking my reloads and seating as far out as I could. Put in a round and decided not to shoot on opening day and ended up with bullet stuck and a magazine full of 4831...lol. My little brother still teases me about it 30 years on.

I have gone to the Lee Collets. Cheap. No lube, hardly any stretches, great case life, and you can get go undersize if you want it a bit tighter.

When loading the SST for my 7mm Mag, should I seat the bullet all the way to the cannelure? I did not the first time and got very marginal groups. I would need to seat much deeper to do so.

No, you do not need to.

I've been using the 162gr SST on my 7mm Rem Mag and it likes them sticking out a bit.

Now, all rifles are different, so yours might like them seated all the way to the cannelure. I would try different seating depths and go from there.

Mine shots 0.8" groups at the cannelure, but with the bullet sticking out a bit more it shoots 0.5" groups or better, when I do everything right of course. I don't have my notes in from of me and can't remember the COAL it likes.

Here is a picture of some loaded up

Screenshot_20220426-112453_Gallery.jpg

Several years back I purchased 1500 premium bullets that were advertised as seconds, with visual defects. When I got them the cannelure was not in the same spot on each bullet. So they looked really weird when reloaded, But I loaded them to a depth that my rifle liked and they shot great and performed great. From that time on I've looked at a cannelure as more of a suggestion rather that a rule.

I'm assuming you're a fairly new reloader by your question. That's great, keep asking questions!

As a baseline start with the loading manuals Cartridge Over-All Length (COAL AKA COL) for that bullet, in your chosen bullet weight.

To tailor your load for your rifle, once you've found a propellant charge weight that groups best providing the velocity range you wish to achieve, you can find the ideal COL for your rifle with that bullet with some measuring and experimentation. As suggested earlier, there are numerous measurement methods to determine distance to the rifling. The Nosler manual suggests one method, other manuals provide sound techniques too. Softer, conventional bullets generally "like" a shorter jump to the rifling, harder, monolithic (all copper or guilding metal) might like a bit more of a jump. Not always.

Be watchful of COL and magazine length! Take your time and enjoy the process.

It depends on the action your 7mm rifle is. If it is an semiauto then the answer is yes. If it is a lever action then the answer is probably not, depending on the magazine length. If it is a bolt action then the answer is no.