Hornady Brass... HELP PLEASE !!!

Doug Herold

My favorite choice in brass has always been Lapua followed by Nosler and Norma. Hornady: one of the least preferred. Now, I got a couple of boxes of ammo which was shipped in with a custom rifle ( 7 Rem Mag ) made with Hornady brass. Trying to "match" the brass, I bought some Hornady brass at Sportsman's Warehouse. It was 15 gr. below the "custom" brass. At the SECOND loading of the store bought brass (which had a dating of 2017 on the packaging ), it was VERY soft when primers were inserted. Furthermore, my son got a load development recipe from an Outfitter in Oregon which included "5th. Gen Hornady". So here is my question:
What's the scoop on Hornady brass? I hear from many of my friends that it has really improved. How so ? Are there different "generations " of this product? How do you know which generation you have just purchased? Where and how do you get the highest quality of the "good stuff"?
Thanks for your help!

Other issue with hornady is that when demand of ammo is high and they cant keep up, hornady will use other brass manufactures (but head stamped hornady) for loaded ammo brass.

Last edited:
I've had some good luck with 7mm once fired RP from Diamond K brass in Ariz.

BW

I have never used Hornady brass for anything long range. Frankly they ticked me off so much over making their 45/70 and 30/30 brass shorter than everybody else's (no way to crimp them with any brand of dies other than Hornady unless you use a custom crimp die, and also you need to rework any loads anywhere close to max for the Hornady brass because it has less volume)when they came out with Leverevolution bullets I was unwilling to buy any of their other brass. I first tried Starline when they came out and were very reasonable. I've been real happy with their product but they have a limited number of calibers available. I've used all sorts of fired factory brass over the years, most of it is fine for functional hunting loads at reasonable ranges. When you start looking for best accuracy at increased ranges it starts getting a little trickier. Most are still ok if you sort your brass. Lapua is about the best you can buy, I have a bunch of 308 brass I picked up in a rockpit that is stamped 7.62x51 that is fantastic brass, wish I knew what brand it was. I've found several of the standard brands (Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc.) to vary quality by caliber and age of production. So best bet is to sort by headstamp, weight, and then load some rounds and see how you like it; if you are using common once fired factory brass.

You might try ADG (Atlas Developmental Group). I've used Remington in my 7 Mag, but only have 2-3 loading on each....loads running 150gr @ approx. 3100....I have just tried some factory (WHAT!!!) In my custom AR10 6.5 Creedmoor, 147gr, and I honestly don't know if I could handload more accurate ammo, brass will be tested soon...rsbhunter

I have used all generations of Hornady brass. They were far superior to R-P, Winchester, Federal, and Privi brass. I agree, Norma, Nosler, Lapua, and Barnes brass is far superior to anything listed prior. I have never used some of these other brass MFRs I am reading about. so I can not judge them. My preferred brass for hunting is Nosler or Norma. My only suggestion for Hornady brass for your 7MM Rem Mag is to prep them (ream the necks, drill the flash holes to be uniform, set a uniform depth for the primer pocket, and cut to uniform length). I shot 600 yard comp with 100 pieces of Hornady brass and did very well.

My favorite choice in brass has always been Lapua followed by Nosler and Norma. Hornady: one of the least preferred. Now, I got a couple of boxes of ammo which was shipped in with a custom rifle ( 7 Rem Mag ) made with Hornady brass. Trying to "match" the brass, I bought some Hornady brass at Sportsman's Warehouse. It was 15 gr. below the "custom" brass. At the SECOND loading of the store bought brass (which had a dating of 2017 on the packaging ), it was VERY soft when primers were inserted. Furthermore, my son got a load development recipe from an Outfitter in Oregon which included "5th. Gen Hornady". So here is my question:
What's the scoop on Hornady brass? I hear from many of my friends that it has really improved. How so ? Are there different "generations " of this product? How do you know which generation you have just purchased? Where and how do you get the highest quality of the "good stuff"?
Thanks for your help!
Mr. Herold I've shot/reloaded for 20 years and the equation that never fails to prove itself, more speed=more pressure =shorter brass life=shorter barrell life. Hi pressure cartridges are renown for this when you get to the top end of the load recipe. HTH best regards, Lyle

Mr. Herold I've shot/reloaded for 20 years and the equation that never fails to prove itself, more speed=more pressure =shorter brass life=shorter barrell life. Hi pressure cartridges are renown for this when you get to the top end of the load recipe. HTH best regards, Lyle

You might try ADG (Atlas Developmental Group). I've used Remington in my 7 Mag, but only have 2-3 loading on each....loads running 150gr @ approx. 3100....I have just tried some factory (WHAT!!!) In my custom AR10 6.5 Creedmoor, 147gr, and I honestly don't know if I could handload more accurate ammo, brass will be tested soon...rsbhunter
Who smithed your AR-10? Lyle

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.