Hoggin Rifle Range Report-Thanks Guys!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by HOGGHEAD, May 26, 2009.

1. HOGGHEAD

HOGGHEAD Well-Known Member

I finally made a trip to the range with my new 22-250 with a 1in8 Krieger barrel. I spent a good bit of time deciding how to build this rifle, and what load to go with. A lot of the information I acquired on this site--so thanks to the guys that helped.

I went with the 75 grain A-Max and H-414. My first loads were with new brass that I FL sized, so now I have about 40 pieces of fire formed brass to work with. I loaded 36.5, 37.0, and 37.5 grains of H-414 with the bullet into the lands(I need to back out a couple of thousanths). All 3 loads shot well, but 37.5 shot the best.

The target below shows my best 100 yard 5 shot group. However most of the groups were pretty similar to the one in the picture, except they have an occasional flier(probably my fault).

I am very happy with my initial results. And I am looking forward to getting back to the range for some longer distance shooting. However I have a real good feeling about this rifle.

You guys really helped me out with my decisions on this rifle, so thanks again. Tom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

good lookin stick Tom, give us some specs, who smithed it? you or someone else?
    RR

3. HOGGHEAD

HOGGHEAD Well-Known Member

Nothing special. Just a tricked up 700 Remington action, with a 1in8 28 inch Krieger barrel, and a Manners stock. A fellow by the name of RHYS in Wyoming did the work. I ran into him on the Varmint Hunters web site. He was a good fellow to deal with. He did what he said he was going to do. And that is something in this day and age. Tom.