Hodgen powder issues

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
This is not a big alarm but something to be aware of. I had not bought any H1000 or other Hogden powder for over a year, a few days ago a customer of a new 338 Edge came in with a pierced primer issue. He was shooting 92.0 grains of H1000, CCI250, OAL 3.785" and a 300 SMK. This was our standard test load and has ben for some time. We looked at all the normal things that would effect this, heavy weighing scales, short shoulder lengths etc. Finally I chronographed the load and was suprised to fined the load cranking out at 2848 fps instead of the normal 2760 fps I am used to in a 30" barrel. So I opened my newest can of H1000 and loaded some up to find the same numbers with it as well. I lowered the load to 90 grains even to hit 2790-2800 fps and no pressure issues or pierced primers. I loaded our new HTIR II ( Hard Target Interdiction Rifle 2 ) up with 92.0 grains and it shot 2860's with a light bolt stick. I backed it too down to 90 grains for just over 2800 fps and no issues. This is not limited to H1000, my first loads for my 338 Allen Mag were 144 gr of H50 BMG with a 300 SMK @ 3300 fps on the nose. One of my friends I also built one for just last year tried the same load and experienced sticky bolt and ejector marks along with a velocity of 3460 fps. The two rifles have no mechnical differences, same chamber, same barrel demensions, same action, same brass etc. The only difference is that my H50 BMG was purchased 3 years ago and his last fall. I am going to make changes on my website reloading info to reflect this apparent change in burn rates. I just wanted everyone to be informed and careful. We are still having excellent results with all Hogden powders but just using less powder now to do it.

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up Shawn.
Whenever the Hodgden powder shortage up here in Canada eases up I'll pay close attention.
I managed to get my hands on 8 pounds of Varget today. Still no H1000 in sight.

I experienced he same issue with a new batch of H1000 this weekend.
Started load devolpment for a 300 Win Mag and 180 Partitions.
I started at the min load recommended by Hodgden (76 gr) and immediately noticed flattened primers . Bolt lift was fine, but not what I expected with a min charge.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what are the lot numbers of the faster powders, just wondering if they are the same maybe they had a bad batch and they don't know it yet? Interested in H-1000 numbers.

Thanks Shawn for posting! I just bought some more H1000, but have not used it yet, I'll have to test some loads before making a big batch of them.

Is there a Lot # on the jug?

Devin

I'll get my lot numbers and post them. I shot another 338 Edge today with the same results, top load was 90-90.5 grains and 2800 fps. 92.0 grains was close to popping the primer.

I just got back from the range where I was working up loads for my 7mm mag using ADI2217/H1000.
I use to use 73.5gr to push a 162 a-max at 3060 fps. (this powder was bought in 2008)
Today I was using a 168 berger and 73 gr gave 3080 fps.
I would say my new lot is faster than the older lot,

The old lot is MEM4346

The new lot is MEM4508

I don't know if the ADI lot numbers are the same as the Hogdon bottles (for thise not aware ADI in Australia make Hogdon powder, ADI2217 and H1000 are the same powder, just different packaging).

Stu.

JUst talked to a friend in the trade who is on a first name basis with the guys in ADI Aust who make the powder. He is going to ask if they have deliberately tweeked the powder or not. Also it may have been tweeked for the US market only ?

We have experience with the BMG and the H1000 and have not noticed the change. I have personally bought the powder in the last six months with no noticable change.

I will have a answer from the horses mouth shortly.

DUH

Does anyone have any numbers for a .338RUM and this new batch of H1000? Thought I would ask to get me in the ball park before starting out. I'm looking to get 2700 FPS which is what I got with Retumbo but now I will be using H1000.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.