28nosler issues

So I've got a serious problem. I started load development with RL 33 and 195. I started at 85gr-87.4. I started seeing pressure around 87.1gr. My best consistent loads were at 85.2 with avg speeds 3050... gun was shooting great for 50 rounds... fast forward to resizing and loading same powder charge I'm getting extremely heavy bolt lift and I blew a primer.

I'm using a new jug of RL 33. Would this cause that much of an extreme in pressure? In my initial load I stopped at the first sign of a heavy bolt life which was 87.1gr. Now at 85.2 I'm blowing primers and increasing FPS by 100+.

Could a carbon ring be the problem? I don't have a bore scope so I can't look. How do you best remove it? Could the powder variance be that big?

I've got a big hunt coming up first of November and I'm stressing this won't be a reliable gun. Help needed.
Another one for H1000!

So I scrubbed/twisted the hell out of the chamber with a 30cal nylon brush and butchs bore shine (didn't have quick access to isso or jb paste). At the same time I cleaned the barrel throughly. I have 4 separate 1lb lots of RL-33 so I put them all in a bucket and mixed them all together as I figured it's better to have 4lbs of uniform powder than 4 different lots.

I will start load development this weekend and report back.

I appreciate all the feedback on this issue. I'm really hoping things get ironed out.

RL 33 gave me problems in my 30-338 Lapua improved so it never made the short list when it came to the 28 Nosler. Retumbo has been the powder of choice for me in 2 of the 28s I just make sure to clean every 30-50 rounds or so.

So I scrubbed/twisted the hell out of the chamber with a 30cal nylon brush and butchs bore shine (didn't have quick access to isso or jb paste). At the same time I cleaned the barrel throughly. I have 4 separate 1lb lots of RL-33 so I put them all in a bucket and mixed them all together as I figured it's better to have 4lbs of uniform powder than 4 different lots.

I will start load development this weekend and report back.

I appreciate all the feedback on this issue. I'm really hoping things get ironed out.
Hopefully that does it for ya!!!!

I had similar issues with a custom 28 Nosler, H1000 and 195s. Loads with new brass = no issues. Second reload of brass = huge pressure issues. Had to pull bullets and go back to starting point. Ended up several grains lower than original load. Out of curiosity, loaded several more virgin brass (from same lot) with original load and had no pressure issues. Still scratching head.
I had the same issues. Have you figured anything out?

Not looking to pick a fight here, seriously now, just wondering why you guys go through so much trouble with the 28....barrel life, extra recoil, issues like in this thread, longer barrels, etc when essentially you are only gaining 250+-FPS over the 7mm Rem Mag. 250fos is the velocity of a Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun.

Think about that;)

The higher you go in performance the more persnickety riles become and much more care has to be used.

High pressures plus high temps and velocities change the equation considerably compared to the old "standards".

Went through similar issues when I first went to the STW.

Pay attention to head space, bullet seating (big pressure spikes in a hurry) and pay very close attention to carbon build up in the first six to nine inches of bore beyond the chamber and great things can be achieved.

Neck sizing only can get you into serious problems with pressure in a hurry as can jamming bullets into the lands.

OP did you ever figure your issue out? There was a thread on here about a year ago a couple guys had significantly higher pressures with once-fired and sized brass than virgin brass.

So I've got a serious problem. I started load development with RL 33 and 195. I started at 85gr-87.4. I started seeing pressure around 87.1gr. My best consistent loads were at 85.2 with avg speeds 3050... gun was shooting great for 50 rounds... fast forward to resizing and loading same powder charge I'm getting extremely heavy bolt lift and I blew a primer.

I'm using a new jug of RL 33. Would this cause that much of an extreme in pressure? In my initial load I stopped at the first sign of a heavy bolt life which was 87.1gr. Now at 85.2 I'm blowing primers and increasing FPS by 100+.

Could a carbon ring be the problem? I don't have a bore scope so I can't look. How do you best remove it? Could the powder variance be that big?

I've got a big hunt coming up first of November and I'm stressing this won't be a reliable gun. Help needed.
Same problem, I use H1000 and 175 partition Bullets. Long range 180 Berger and H1000

OP did you ever figure your issue out? There was a thread on here about a year ago a couple guys had significantly higher pressures with once-fired and sized brass than virgin brass.

I had a carbon ring... after I cleaned it my accuracy and pressure signs went back to normal. I now clean every 20rds and it's been fine. I've got enough RL33 for the life of this barrel. Next barrel I'll start with Retumbo

Retumbo has been hard to find. Hopefully you can find some. I have used Rl-33, Retumbo and H-1000 in my 28 Nosler. All shot excellent, best velocity was RL-33. I ended up sticking with the Retumbo and have had zero issues. I have 185 down the tube right now. I never tried the 195 Bergers. I bought some and just decided the 180 Hybrid was doing so well I wouldn't play with the 195. I feel bad every time I hear people struggling with their 28 mine has been a pleasure.

Not looking to pick a fight here, seriously now, just wondering why you guys go through so much trouble with the 28....barrel life, extra recoil, issues like in this thread, longer barrels, etc when essentially you are only gaining 250+-FPS over the 7mm Rem Mag. 250fos is the velocity of a Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun.

Think about that;)

There is truth to the fact that there is a point of diminishing returns. There is quite a bit of difference between a projectile that weighs 0.35 grains going 250 fps and a bullet weighing 180 grains going 250 fps, however. I do believe the 7mm Remington Magnum is one of the greatest cartridges though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.