Help with cracked media tumbler

My 8 year old Hornady dry media tumbler has a couple cracks. I noticed yesterday media "walnut shell" was leaking on the floor. I'm sure the manufacturers of these tumblers don't sell replacement bowls when they can sell an entire machine. Thought about epoxying the cracks, but reconsidered since it too may crack. Any thoughts on perhaps silicone?

A little late to the party. I have a Frankford Arsenal vibratory tumbler that had a cracked bowl as well and media leaking out. I scuffed up the inside and epoxied it with a slow cure epoxy. I called Frankford Arsenal and they sent me out a new bowl at no charge. They have great customer service btw fwiw. Very happy with this inexpensive tumbler.

That was a couple years ago and the epoxied one is still holding. Once it goes then I'll switch it out for the new one.

Last edited:
My 8 year old Hornady dry media tumbler has a couple cracks. I noticed yesterday media "walnut shell" was leaking on the floor. I'm sure the manufacturers of these tumblers don't sell replacement bowls when they can sell an entire machine. Thought about epoxying the cracks, but reconsidered since it too may crack. Any thoughts on perhaps silicone?

Not sure if this helps, but it's a good story. A few years ago I had an "aftermarket" tumbler that had a broken bowl. I realized that the motor and frame were identical to an RCBS tumbler, so I called RCBS to inquire about purchasing a new replacement bowl. The gentleman at RCBS told me he would send out a replacement at no charge, to which I replied that I needed to pay for it as it was not an RCBS machine, but rather another brand. He told me to not worry about the cost and that they were more than happy to get me up and running.
How's that for customer service? I was an RCBS customer before that day, but especially after that day!

I just bought a new product called Bondic. Its a UV activated adhesive like a dentist uses. I've used it several times and none of the bonds have come loose. It seems like it's good stuff. If mine cracks I will give this stuff a try.

I'm sure they sell replacement bowls. Check midway, brownells, Sinclair Intl., Natchez. Almost all of them will have replacement bowls.

Not sure if this helps, but it's a good story. A few years ago I had an "aftermarket" tumbler that had a broken bowl. I realized that the motor and frame were identical to an RCBS tumbler, so I called RCBS to inquire about purchasing a new replacement bowl. The gentleman at RCBS told me he would send out a replacement at no charge, to which I replied that I needed to pay for it as it was not an RCBS machine, but rather another brand. He told me to not worry about the cost and that they were more than happy to get me up and running.
How's that for customer service? I was an RCBS customer before that day, but especially after that day!

Yes RCBS (Vista Outdoors I believe) has great customer service as well, that will keep a customer.

I have used Gorilla Glue and then reinforced the inside and outside with Gorilla Tape. It may not look nice ,but it works. If there are too many cracks consider replacement ! What is your health worth ! In the dust created from tumbling you have particles of lead floating around,therefore caution must be applied !

Awesome that they got you squared away. I have the same unit and mine cracked after about 6 years of use. I tried replacing the bowl with something from my kitchen but it had less capacity and made more noise. I slapped some real sticky duck tape on it and haven't had a problem for the past 4 years. Btw I use the corn cob media

I'm sure they sell replacement bowls. Check midway, brownells, Sinclair Intl., Natchez. Almost all of them will have replacement bowls.
Horandy has an excellent customer service and tech support. If you call them they will either replace your bowl, or give you some sort of credit, if you send it in to them. I myself can say nothing bad about Horandy customer service. In my case they listened then replyed favorably.

Get a new one.

Harbor freight sells one for about 50$, I had mine for three years. Just make sure you tighten the wing nut tight or it will vibrate and melt in that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.