Help with cracked media tumbler

Sent a E-Mail this afternoon. Will call tomorrow. Not expecting a solution.
Epoxy is OK - strong, but it tends to be stiff. The newer UV-activated polymers bond instantly when exposed to UV light, and are strong and flexible - the flexibility being important when a joint is subject to impact like in a tumbler. You can get a kit for less than $6.00 at Wally World - UV pen and polymer - with more than enough to fix the problem, with loads left over. Unlike glues, the polymer stays liquid over a long period - only UV catalyzes the conversion - so you can get it out of the closet a year from now and use it for something else.

JB weld 15 min epoxy inside and out you can clean any lumps up with a dremel or file after it hardens

The bowl is most probably Polyethylene or Polypropylene, both of which have extremely low surface energy. Going to be hard to bond them with much of anything if they are. If you have access to a plasma etcher, then you'll have better luck if you can etch it first. The recycling mark with say either "PE" or "PP" inside the triangle.

Failing Hornady being of any help, some commercial de-burring tumblers are lined with rubber. Consider coating the inside of the bowl with one of the smooth DIY pick-up bedliner kits. Duraback is not a good choice as it is a rough surface. You want smooth.

EDIT: If it is the "M1" model tumbler the Thumbler's bowl may fit and I was easily able to buy a spare one of those for my wife's silver-smithing use.

Last edited:
upload_2019-9-17_9-37-38.jpeg
:D:D

Tried Gorilla tape, but it still leaked. I have a SS pin wet tumbler and only use the dry tumbler occasionally for brass once fired. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and buy a new unit.

I have a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler that I have been using for a couple of years now, it cost me around $58 and it does everything that I need to get done quite well, I'd suggest biting the bullet and getting a new one. I repair kayaks for different club members that I belong to (same material as your tumbler), I could recommend an epoxy that would definitely repair the cracks in your tumbler, but that epoxy costs around $35 from West Marine, doesn't make any sense to not just buy a new tumbler.

Marine-Tex, it will repair the cracks and u can sand it smooth if you need to. It's very strong and bonds to anything

My 8 year old Hornady dry media tumbler has a couple cracks. I noticed yesterday media "walnut shell" was leaking on the floor. I'm sure the manufacturers of these tumblers don't sell replacement bowls when they can sell an entire machine. Thought about epoxying the cracks, but reconsidered since it too may crack. Any thoughts on perhaps silicone?

Try Gorilla Tape. That stuff is incredibly tough and sticky.

Just talked to Kathy at Hornady. The bowl for my tumbler is in stock. She is shipping a new one today. $26.74 includes shipping. Less than half the price of a new unit. Was not put on hold, was directed to the sales dept and was cheerfully greeted. Will probably keep this tumbler indoors now. Had it in the garage and the heat here in Az is killer on plastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.