Help with 7mm Rem load data.

The load I've been shooting in my Remington Model 700 FS for several years now using the Nosler 168gr. Accubond LR is 71.5gr. of Accurate Mag Pro powder, in Win. cases, Win. large Rifle Magnum primers! Average velocity is 2873 fps out of my 24" barrel! I've shot this load out to 650 yds. A new load I'm trying is the Sierra 165 gr. Game Changer pushed with 74.5 grs. of Enduron IMR 8133 in Federal cases, CCI# 250 primers at 2958 fps. Seems to be a little more accurate than the Nosler load and the Enduron powder makes cleaning my barrel much easier!
Have you tried IMR 7977 yet with 160 to 168 gr. ?

I will toss in my advice. please no hate mail. I built a 270 variant of the 7MM rem mag and the load data was virtually identical to the 7MM. the best powders for me were the slowest ones. I got to the point that the range of 1.2 to 0.8 grains below max gave me the fastest and the most accurate hunting loads. I had a 1:8" barrel twist and was launching 140 and 160 grain slugs for Elk. The 120 grain Barnes X were also very accurate at 1.5 to 0.4 grains below max loads( RL-22 seemed to work the best) for deer. these are the powders I used and found to be accurate with the 140 through 160 grain 270 slugs: H-1000, RL-25, IMR-4831, H-4831SSC. I have lost my data sheet/pet loads for the rifle, along with the rifle itself. but I have the book I used to work up loads and it has notes all over it for what I found. nothing about the final loads for the gun because I had not gotten that far before the gun was lost.
I hope this will help.

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start.
Every rifle is different....what works in one persons rifle may not in yours. To use another persons "pet load" is just plain negligent on your part.
Sure seems like he looking for a good place to start as stated... Not trying to use anyone's loads....

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start.

Sure seems like he looking for a good place to start as stated... Not trying to use anyone's loads....
In my 7 mm mag with a 26 inch barrel using Winchester brass 69.5 grains of retumbo, .020. Off the lands gives me the most speed and accuracy of anything I've tried.

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start. I would like to reuse my brass but will by new brass if needed. At this point I am not set on anything, I just want an effective round for hunting mule deer and elk out to around 600 yards. I will be working up the load this spring and summer but hunting in the fall in Utah can be cold.
Please give me examples of non-temperature sensitive loads that remain accurate out that far.
At the same time I will be working an AR10 6.5 Creedmore out to 1,000 yards (I'll ask for load data on that one once I am done building it). So I will have the opportunity to put the 7mm on steel at ranges up to and beyond 600 yards.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pete
Retumbo right around 71 grains Accubond or Berger, I've found Berger's to be a bit more accurate for longer than 600 yards

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start. I would like to reuse my brass but will by new brass if needed. At this point I am not set on anything, I just want an effective round for hunting mule deer and elk out to around 600 yards. I will be working up the load this spring and summer but hunting in the fall in Utah can be cold.
Please give me examples of non-temperature sensitive loads that remain accurate out that far.
At the same time I will be working an AR10 6.5 Creedmore out to 1,000 yards (I'll ask for load data on that one once I am done building it). So I will have the opportunity to put the 7mm on steel at ranges up to and beyond 600 yards.
Pete
I would definitely stay with the Accubond bullet. Several years ago it happened to me twice, where a Berger hunting bullet passed thro a deer's vitals without opening up. And then you have to chase it down, both cases ended up trailing them for a half mile. in both cases, they didnt hit hit a rib on the way in and they just don't open up. A pencil hole through both sides of both lungs was the only damage. One of them hit a rib on the way out and left a nice blood trail, the other did not hit a rib at all and there was virtually no blood trail with it for the first half of the chase and then the blood filled up enough of the lungs to start coming out the nose and out the tiny holes in its sides. Fortunately, in both cases there was snow so tracking was very easy.

Our wildlife deserves to be treated in the most humane and respectful way possible. Use a proper bonded hunting bullet!

I will toss in my advice. please no hate mail. I built a 270 variant of the 7MM rem mag and the load data was virtually identical to the 7MM. the best powders for me were the slowest ones. I got to the point that the range of 1.2 to 0.8 grains below max gave me the fastest and the most accurate hunting loads. I had a 1:8" barrel twist and was launching 140 and 160 grain slugs for Elk. The 120 grain Barnes X were also very accurate at 1.5 to 0.4 grains below max loads( RL-22 seemed to work the best) for deer. these are the powders I used and found to be accurate with the 140 through 160 grain 270 slugs: H-1000, RL-25, IMR-4831, H-4831SSC. I have lost my data sheet/pet loads for the rifle, along with the rifle itself. but I have the book I used to work up loads and it has notes all over it for what I found. nothing about the final loads for the gun because I had not gotten that far before the gun was lost.
I hope this will help.
Not trying to be a DH but how was the gun lost?

When H-1000 first was distributed by Hodgdon, my buddies and I got a batch that burned faster than the published data by 4-5 grains. Bruce Hodgdon sent us new pounders from a different batch. He said that he designed H-1000 for 160 gr Nosler Particians in the 7mm Remington Magnum. Our choice of bullets (and powders) was much more limited then. For hunting, it is hard to resist R-26 for velocity and temperature insensitivity. It does burn like a blow torch. All barrels are nitrocarburized ( I have worn out one 7mm Rem Mag barrel) and HBN coat the bullets. No naked bullets!

Attachments

• 7mm-remington-magnum2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
Pete
My Savage 111 long range hunter likes 67.1gr of H1000 under 160gr Abond's. 3000fps 1/2 moa. Sufficient energy out to 7-800 yds for elk, muley,,,? Best of luck!

168 Berger and H1000 has proven pretty temp stable. Loaded in the 50's and shot from 20's to 100's in my junky savage

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.