Help with load data

Nitromike

I'm brand new to reloading and am try to find load data for .308 I am using 180gr hornady sst bullets with 4064 powder and cci 200 primers any help with charge and c.o.l. Would be much appreciated.

Take the Hodgdon load for 180's and work up from the starting load. You may or may not be able to use the max load with that bullet.
I would suggest following the Accubond data in that bullet weight.

Cheers.

Nosler has their data published online also for you to reference. You can use similar designed bullets for reference as long as you use common reloading knowledge of working up a load....ie don't start at max. Take your time and work it up and enjoy the process! It can be an addiction!

They don't list 4064 Data for a 180 gn bullet in 308 because there are better powders for that bullet weight. It's a good powder for 165 gn and lighter bullets. If you are looking at best velocity Accurate 2520 but for best accuracy look at H4895 or maybe Varget. 4064 Can be used of course but there are better options out there.
If you insist on using 4064 look at data for a 165 gn bullet and start with at least 1.5 grain lower than the min load and work up. I would start at about 40.5 gn and work up to be safe.

Last edited:
I'm brand new to reloading and am try to find load data for .308 I am using 180gr hornady sst bullets with 4064 powder and cci 200 primers any help with charge and c.o.l. Would be much appreciated.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread. It may help to find a comparison chart amongst different brands and select one closest to your 4064 powder. Then, try using that brand in your load data search. Good luck, be safe, and keep your. Head down.

I end up at 44 grains with your powder. Note two manufacturer make a 4046. Tac and rl 15 same. Seem to like the higher end charge for accuracy. Tac and 8208 probably more temp stable.
IMG_0261.PNG

I forgot to mention, the heaviest of 308 bullets penetrate well because of sectional density. They tend to not need extreme velocity to work well. so go for accuracy.

Imr 4064 is a great powder for that bullet weight! Start at 40.5 and work up too 45.0 watch your primers and case head at higher end of charges

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.