Help with analyzing lots of load data

CastIronSkillet

I have been reloading for several years but, I am new to handloading. My experience is with pistol and short range hunting and plinking loads. I got bit by the long range bug and the infection is spreading. I picked up a 700 5R 300 win and a 700P LTR .308 to practice with and save barrel on the win mag.

My objective is to find an accuracy load for this rifle that I can whip up pretty easily to go-to whenever I need... my pet load I guess.

The data below is with the .308 20" barrel
Alliant RL15
Federal Brass
Fed210M primer
168 SMK
hornady .333 bushing die w/expander (i don't neck turn)
hornady micro adjust seating die

I am looking for some second opinions on what I might be seeing in my data. I used the 10-shot ladder test to identify pressure and velocity nodes first. It ended up being 20 but who's counting? The first 10 were at saami spec length, the second 10 were max mag length. 42.4, 43.2, 44.2, and maybe 44.8 all showed some potential.

upload_2019-9-16_12-56-8.png

upload_2019-9-16_13-15-28.png

I decided to verify the 43.2 charge on a second trip. Two 5 shot groups at 100 yds with consistent velocity, SD, and ES. The velocity was a little higher but it was also almost 20* hotter outside. Groups sucked but that's OK for now.

upload_2019-9-16_13-19-28.png

This next part is where I have questions. I did a seating depth test to find the accuracy load. The groups were marginally better by seating closer to the lands and strangely the exact same for three of them. I would like to post pics of the groups but I feel I have posted too much already. The .89" groups were all .4" 4-shot and a flyer to open them up to .89". I have never gotten this far in testing before... where do I go from here?

upload_2019-9-16_13-29-5.png

You can usually eliminate the flyers with seating depth. If not, change primers or powder and see if that clears it up. My best .308 load is with all the components you listed with the exception of powder. I load Varget, and my gun loves it more than my wife loves her dog. Way more than she loves me;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.