Help with 1st Savage build

Thanks for all the replies, I am planning on ordering the bulk of everything from Jim at Northland. I am pretty set on getting a Stevens LA and replacing the trigger with a Timney.

I've been looking at both Shilen and McGowan barrels and for the most part it seems like its "6 in one, half dozen in the other". Anyone else have any thoughts as to which might be better?

I purchased a stocked BVSS action with CNC recoil lug and Heavy McGowen .308 1:10" twist barrel from Jim last summer. Great guy to work with....very, very helpful. Don't have more than a box and a half of FGM 175 gr. SMK's through my rig....but I'm easily getting 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards ( All 5 or 6 so far:D.) I'm going to work up some 185 gr. Berger's...hope they shoot as good or better.

All together...I'm more than satisfied with my McGowen barrel and other parts from Jim. I've read that McGowen had a problem with their button for the 1:10" twist in the past...but mine is perfectly acceptible.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.