.300 Savage Build (Need Help)

Ok AJ, Thanks man. Ya'll have been alot of help, and quick to respond. I really appreciate that.

I looked at the Manner stocks and they are a bit expensive. I have no problem paying for them, but if there is something that is compareable for a better price I'd like to maybe go that route. I saw the b&c stocks but this 111 model has the hinged floorplate, and I didn't see one that fit for a hinged floorplate. Anyways, any suggestions would be great.

You can easily convert from a hinged floorplate to a blind floorplate.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/schematics/Sav10_BM_Parts.gif
Link copied from Stock's stocks. As long as you know if it's staggered or centerfeed you can use the "stock selector" in the upper left hand corner of Stocky's home page to pick a stock. Look under blind magazine as well as hinged floor plate.

Leave the stock barrel, swap the stock itself (and bed it, of course), get good bases and rings as well as optics and go have fun.

I am wanting to do the same thing. I got a question related to the headspace gauges, What is a field Gauge?

the stockys stocks can provide the stock and work with your hinged floor plate. manners handles that by adding bottom metal that allows use of the Accuracy International or Alpha magazines. At least for short action calibers.

a field gage is used to check for too much headspace, if your bolt closes on the field gage you are near or exceeding maximum headspace. sounds complicated but not so much in practice...

What is a large shank? Will a large shank fit on a standard action? Apparently I need a different barrel nut if I go with a large shank barrel.

I assume it is the outside diameter of the barrel?

I know the standard barrel will be fine, but I have a remington .270 that will shoot fine with a standard barrel. I want to build a rifle.

the large shank a target action shank, the small shank is the one for your hunting rifle. Savage makes an excellent dedicated target action- larger shank, three action screws and the barrel nut is indeed different on the inside but the barrel wrench will fit the nut for both size shanks. does that make sense?

yes you should build the rifle. there are all these things that seem confusing at first but it will clear up. keep asking questions, looking at stuff. it is the spot all of us started at. make sure you end up at the end with what you want.. thats half the fun. As you get experience what you want might change or might not. I started with 7mm rem mag as my first long range gun. I have evolved away from the magnums to the short action 6mm and 6.5 mms and love them. But I learned so much from that first one, made a few mistakes too... that is one of the greatest things about these sports- there is room for all sorts of opinions and desires and experiences.

Does anyone think I should use a different caliber than .300? And if I did I'd want to use the same bolt face, don't even know that I'd need to change it due to it already being a magnum....? I know alot of people don't like the belted cartridge.

Does anyone think I should use a different caliber than .300? And if I did I'd want to use the same bolt face, don't even know that I'd need to change it due to it already being a magnum....? I know alot of people don't like the belted cartridge.

If you set up your die correctly, the belt is a non-issue. Don't let that play into your decision at all.

AJ

AJ you could probably help me with this question. Since I have the .300 Win Mag. would I be able to change the barrel to a 7STW without changeing the bolt face?

Maybe this is better: What calibers could I switch barrel to without changing the bolt face?

Just so I can take a little better look at my options.

The 300 Win Mag bolt face will fit any of the belted magnums except the 224 Weatherby, the 240 Weatherby and any of the cartridges based on the 378 Weatherby case, ie. 30-378 and 338-378 Wby.
It will also fit any of the Remington Ultra Mags, Remignton Short Action Ultra Mags, Winchester Short Mags and Winchester Super Short Mags.
Magazine feeding is an entirely different issue though.

James

+1 James H. Perfectly answered.

Basically, you have the perfect bolt face for the vast majority of the serious long range stuff.

Although, the 308 bolt face has it's fair share of nice long range cartridges, albeit, lighter weight stuff (.284 and it's wildcats, 30-06 and it's progeny).

AJ

Ok, Awesome. Thanks James & AJ. I hate to keep asking questions, but I'd like this barrel to last as long as possible, so I'm thinking something that isn't so hot on the barrel. But all I know is what I've read around here. I originally liked the 300 wsm because the ballisitics are very close until it gets upwards of 180 grain bullets. But I know there are feeding problems as well with the wsm in the long action, and I have no milling tools.

But I have no problem going with another cartridge.

What cartridge would you pick if you had the 300wm action/bolt. With the least amount of work involved in making it work properly. Repeater

What cartridge would you pick if you had the 300wm action/bolt. With the least amount of work involved in making it work properly. Repeater

It all depends on what you want to do. The 300Win is a fine caliber, the 7mm Rem Mag is a little less recoil and a little better trajectory (with a bit less downrange energy).

There are wildcats that are interesting, but probably not something you want to tackle at this point. the 300RUM Is a serious long range hammer. A fast twist long barreled 7mm RUM would be absolutely awesome, but with shorter barrel life. I don't know about a 'repeater', you should measure your magazine and let us know what is the maximum cartridge that you can use, this will help us help you.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.