Help with 1st Build

jasche

Hello all, kinda new here. I had an idea on building a low cost rifle myself to start practicing longer (about 600-800ish) range shooting and hunting. I got some ideas from Jerry Teo's article. I wanted to get a savage with accutrigger or a stevens with a SSS trigger and put a lothar walter pre-fit barrel on it. I am unsure which stock id use. Almost all my shooting will be practicing various positions in the field with or without a bipod or sling. Which stock do you prefer for field shooting? Also, what are your opinions on the build in general? I was planning on having it in 6br and also having a 260 rem barrel for hunting deer and coyotes. But I'm also considering just learning on a standard 308 for the time being. If I go the 308 route, would there be any benefit to go with a long action like the m-40 rifle and opening up possibilities for a more potent long action round later on? Sorry for the long post im just trying to address everything. Id pry go with the falcon menace 4-14 scope. Id appreciate all your opinions. Thank you

I'm sure a build like Jerry's would be great .
For deer and coyotes at 600-800yds. you don't need a big magnum ,the 260 or the ackley improved version would be fine.
Myself i'd start out with one barrel -260rem and use money towards a quality name brand scope ,zeiss conquest -leupold mk4 etc. don't forget there's a lot of expense still to come w/ rangefinders and other dodads.
Good luck -Mike

Use a long action and you won't have mag length issues with big bullets, my 260 is built on a long action for that reason. I've actually got a 6BR on a long action also with a single shot follower. I've got B&C, HS, Boyds and Joel Russo stocks on my Savages. Stock choice is really a matter of personal preference for material, style, fit and intended use.

Thanks guys, i appreciate both of your replies. Are there any feeding issues with the long action in 260 or 308? I like having a few extra in the mag. Also, would you get the savage with accutrigger or a stevens with an aftermarket triggers? Or is it more personal preference? Thanks again for helping out.

jasche:
You don't lose much by going with a short action. If you ever want something with more power than the 260 or 308 you can always go with one of the WSM cartridges.

One of the 264 imp off the 308 case is a very good choice that is extremely accurate. With the 140 berger at .640 bc it can shoot a long way accurately. To shoot a long way it is good to seat long bc bullets out toward the rifling. Some short actions prevent this unless you use them as single shots. The 6.5-284 is also a very good one. These are cheaper to shoot than a magnum but you will use a lot of clicks when you stretch the range out so get a quality scope known for repeatable clicks. Right now I am working with some short mags that are very impressive. The 264-300 wsm with the 140 bergers is really performing well at long range and the gun scoped out weighs 7 pounds. Nice mountain rifle. I just got off the range with it and a 300 wsm shooting 150 barnes ttsx bullets. I was shooting sub 2" groups at the 400 yard target with both.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.