.300 Savage Build (Need Help)

It all depends on what you want to do. The 300Win is a fine caliber, the 7mm Rem Mag is a little less recoil and a little better trajectory (with a bit less downrange energy).

There are wildcats that are interesting, but probably not something you want to tackle at this point. the 300RUM Is a serious long range hammer. A fast twist long barreled 7mm RUM would be absolutely awesome, but with shorter barrel life. I don't know about a 'repeater', you should measure your magazine and let us know what is the maximum cartridge that you can use, this will help us help you.

AJ

Magazine is 3 3/8. I only had a tape handy, not a micrometer.

Well, the RUM's are probably out of the question for a repeater.

I'd look at the 300wm or 7mm Rem Mag. 264mag, .....

Or Wildcats like the 7mm-375Ruger ....

Picking a cartridge is fun, isn't it? :D

AJ

It is more difficult than I thought it would be. However I bought the 300 Savage for the reason that I liked the bullet size and bc, even though some are a little better.

Think I'll stick with it. I also have a Savage .243 that once I change the barrel on this rifle I plan on doing it to that one. So I have a few options, as far as have a large big game, and a smaller game rifle. Not to mention my .270 Remington that I've killed most of my animals with.

I'm ready to get moving with this build. So a stock will be the biggest challenge because I have the DBM and am changing it to the blind mag. So .300 it is. Thanks again for all of the help.

I will be asking and updating as much as possible. :D

For simplicity I would stick with the 300 Win Mag or if you want less recoil switch to the 7mm Rem mag. The 264 Win Mag is a good choice too but a lot harder on barrels than the 7mm or 300.
So now we are down to 2, should make it a lot easier choice.
You would most likely need to do some modifications do get the 7x375 to feed. A single stack magazine may work, haven't tried it. It would also be harder on barrels.

James

I have a Savage 116 in 300win mag, It has the accu-stock and trigger and still has the factory barrel. the rings on it are the Talley model #740725 these bases will fit your action. Everyone has been spot on with the info they have posted. I bought this rifle for people to shoot and try out the Huskemaw scope that sets on top of it. I plan on putting a crieterion barrel on it after this tube is shot out. It has well over 1200 rounds thru it and it still prints 3.5 inch groups at 600 yards check out Northland shooters supply, He carrys everything you need to build your savage, from drop in barrels to stocks and everything in between. also you might want to check out savageshooters forum its a web site dedicated to the brotherhood of the barrel nut. it is a wealth of info on all savage firearms. Good luck with your build. ps and you are right its hard to find a custom after market stock for a hinged floor plate, I have only seen one and if im not mistaken it was a dura touch with no bedding block.

Hi DirtySouth,
i too am doing my first build (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/my-first-build-78459/index9.html#post587794) and have had some of the same questions.

i started out with a 111 in 30-06 and am in the process of swapping to 300 win mag. (after flip flopping around on the cal.) lots of great help from everyone on this site. I got a little concerned with some questions and purchased the Savage Arms 10-116 armorer's course from AGI. this DVD put to rest a lot of concerns i had. I am now waiting for my new 300 win mag barrel and new bolt face to arrive so i can start swapping out all the parts. already purchased a new trigge from SSS. the original was not the acutrigger and had a 50 lb pull to it. once the barrel arrives i will have it threaded for a break and then will have to save for the scope. (kids college tuition is due :-( )

Hi DirtySouth,
i too am doing my first build (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/my-first-build-78459/index9.html#post587794) and have had some of the same questions.

i started out with a 111 in 30-06 and am in the process of swapping to 300 win mag. (after flip flopping around on the cal.) lots of great help from everyone on this site. I got a little concerned with some questions and purchased the Savage Arms 10-116 armorer's course from AGI. this DVD put to rest a lot of concerns i had. I am now waiting for my new 300 win mag barrel and new bolt face to arrive so i can start swapping out all the parts. already purchased a new trigge from SSS. the original was not the acutrigger and had a 50 lb pull to it. once the barrel arrives i will have it threaded for a break and then will have to save for the scope. (kids college tuition is due :-( )

Yeah, I've been keeping up with your thread. Lol, I just ordered my stock today, (Manners) and haven't decided on a barrel yet, but have asked for gift cards to Midway USA for Christmas so I plan on ordering a LEE single stage press, Larger bolt handle, and a Rifle Basix trigger. I have a while to wait on the MAnners stock so some of that stuff being backordered is no big deal.... Oh along with the action wrench, savage barrel nut wrench, and a larger recoil stop.

As for the Barrel I'm thinking a McGowen, Shilen or Pac-Nor. I'd actually like some input on what is a better drop in/ DIY barrel. Less amount of modifications to the end user the better.

Check into what you can accomplish with some lapping compound before you screw em together. I usually see a 25-50% decrease in group size with some basement bathtub truing. Every savage Ive fooled with has been truable with nothing more than lapping. It may get a true smith to disagree but you can build .25moa savages like that without a lathe. Savageshooters will detail much of what can be done.

Check into what you can accomplish with some lapping compound before you screw em together. I usually see a 25-50% decrease in group size with some basement bathtub truing. Every savage Ive fooled with has been truable with nothing more than lapping. It may get a true smith to disagree but you can build .25moa savages like that without a lathe. Savageshooters will detail much of what can be done.

Since I don't have the new barrel in my hands, nor the nut wrench. I'm not sure where you are talking about lapping? Could you be Extremely Specific? Please.

I've never lapped the lugs on my Savage. I have had good success with accuracy. Mine shoots .25MOA quite often, sometimes smaller if I do my part.

Tank

Just ordered my FFP Viper PST from Camera Land. They had it in stock so, I should get it in a few days.

However I don't know if I'll ever see my Manners stock.... Only like 12 more weeks to go before I might get it...

Barrel is being made by McGowen.

Can't wait to look through my new scope gun)

Since I don't have the new barrel in my hands, nor the nut wrench. I'm not sure where you are talking about lapping? Could you be Extremely Specific? Please.

Lapping action face,recoil lug,nut and lugs. Best to check on savage shooters.com. All the info is there.
Basically you true the aforementioned parts using lapping compound. A true smith will argue that a lathe is needed but it sure seems to produce a good accuracy gain on most guns for about $10. I just like to do it myself and build guns that will hang with $4k rigs at LRH.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.