HELP! PLEASE Savage 12 12FVSS Varminter or REMINGTON 700 SPS VARMINT?

superlite17

Hello Guys and Gals! Thank you for helping get me to this point. You helped me dicide on the 22-250 which I love. And now you have all heled me narrow my rifle decision to two... and from here i absolutely cannot make up my mind... so i will leave it in your capable hands:

Which one is better... Savage 12 12FVSS Varminter Stainless or REMINGTON 700 SPS VARMINT

Also if you have the time PLEASE tell me what you think makes it better. I ask this because any one of you knows more about guns than I most likely ever will.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE SO FREELY! Rod

I would say the Savage because of the far better stock and ease of barrel change if letter you want to set the barrel back a little and rechamber to the 22-250 Ai and help your brass last a little longer and squeeze a little more speed out of it.
I also personaly feel that the Savage barrels are better quality than the factory Remington's

I handled both, side-by-side, and there's no doubt that the fit and finish on the Savage is better. I liked the forearm of the SPS better, but I really liked the oversized bolt and finish on the Savage better. A Savage 12FV .243 now resides in my safe.

I like the Rem 700 .

You can replace the stock with An H S Stock an Ajust the trigger to 3 LBS That will all you need to do your Rem 700 Rifle .

I have 2 Rem 700 VLS HB 22 250 Rifle .
I put an H S Stock on them an They will hold an 1/4 Group on paper at 100 yards . My Rem 700 BDL 22 250 will Hold an 1/2 in Group on paper at 100 yards .

That is all I will Use Coyote Hunting .

Redbone .

PS

That is what I like .

You need to buy what you like .

That is all that should matter to you .

Thank you gentlemen! You are giving me exactly what i needed. I agree, i REALLY like the grip on the SPS... but love the savage trigger... to bad we cannot put them in a nice cozy gun cabinet for 6mos and then have such cute perfect little offspring!

Thanks SO MUCH & KEEP IT COMING PLEASE!

Where's kitty cat... been missing the bright cheer he brings to my posts : )

You can put any stock you want on the Savage but a smith has to switch barrels on the Remington.

I have also heard positive things about Rem action, the way it mates up or somthin being really strong and that being why many match shooters use it as the foundation of their rig. Is this true, and if so, how does the Savage action stand up in comparrison?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts