Help me make 1000 yard shot, chart attached

Get a spotter to help you. I shoot when I can at 1,000 and always use a spotter... our range makes it hard to use paper targets at that distance, but has lots of steel etc.

Disclaimer- I am new at this Long Range shooting game. Took my factory rem 700 (did add a drop in Timney trigger) chambered in .300RSAUM with a Leupold VX5HD to a big cornfield saturday to shoot and create some DOPE. Last fall I had shot it to 500 consistently and my goal is to join the 1000 yard club. Am shooting a 155ELDM at 2970 and the data from the Hornady 4DOF chart is very close to what I actually did. The drop in MOA was consistently greater from one yardage to the next until I jumped from 800 to 900 yards. How could this be? It was getting dark and I took one poke at 1000 dialing in 29.75 moa and missed the target completely and I think I was too high. In your opinion, what moa should I dial up to go back and get a hit at 1000 if conditions are the same? Thanks
At sea level with 75% humidity ( Mississippi) JBM calc shows 29.0 moa drop. Hitting to the right of center: Do you compensate for spindrift?

Use tall peice of cardboard, spray painted black. Then if you have or can borrow one, a "sniper" model bullet camera. Look for the white hole when you hit it

Dial 27.5 and send it. That should be right in there. If you miss use your reticle to figure out what you need to do to get a second round hit

"One poke" won't tell you much. Late in the day after shooting for extended period, you may have been a little fatigued, experienced evening conditions change, rushed your shot, "peeked" a little to see your accomplishment, breathed a little differently, slightly altered your position build, enjoyed a little extra wisp of wind, experienced the Extreme spread or Standard Deviation variance or even the rogue outlier in cartridges.......or probably a combination of all the above and other factors.....pennies make a dollar scenario. That's why it is termed "DOPE". As your experience and yardage grow, you will learn to appreciate the minute variables that make a "hit" or "miss." Be patient, thoughtful, methodical, regimented, consistent, keep learning and practicing....but, keep shooting. Remember.........CONSISTENCY IS KING........VARIATION THE DEVIL!!!!!
I disagee, a one poke miss is actually a sighter shot.
Not always a bad thing.
And a sighter shot will offer more information than all the gadgets you can buy.
Its what you do with the sighter shot information that counts most.

I disagee, a one poke miss is actually a sighter shot.
Not always a bad thing.
And a sighter shot will offer more information than all the gadgets you can buy.
Its what you do with the sighter shot information that counts most.
A single shot that misses target completely, impact not sighted......doesn't know where jt hit.....THINKS it was high.......is not a sighter shot. It's a one poke wasted round. But, I agree with you that I was wrong when I wrote that "one poke won't tell him much." I was completely wrong.......not even close.......it didn't tell him ANYTHING......except his rifle went KA-POW. There corrected. :) :) :)

Obviously a shot that's not seen is completely wasted but if the rifle and the shooter are up to the task you should be able to transform a miss into good information that helps your second shot out. Especially helpful in the wind

Well I had another chance to try round 2 this afternoon, only change in conditions was a 6-8 mph wind from opposite direction. Put up a 3x3 foot square of cardboard and tried 2 shots at 27.5 moa elevation and 2.0 moa windage. No impact. then tried 29.5 moa elevation 2 shots and no impact. Then tried 2 shots changing windage to 5 moa and no impact. My problem is I dont have a spotter and cant see my impacts in this burnt down flat corn field. Going to wait until the farmer plants the field(bare dirt) in a few weeks and take my son as a spotter to see where I am hitting. There was no wind where I was shooting from and no wind at the target because it was blocked by a treeline, but halfway inbetween the bullet was encountering wind.

Well I had another chance to try round 2 this afternoon, only change in conditions was a 6-8 mph wind from opposite direction. Put up a 3x3 foot square of cardboard and tried 2 shots at 27.5 moa elevation and 2.0 moa windage. No impact. then tried 29.5 moa elevation 2 shots and no impact. Then tried 2 shots changing windage to 5 moa and no impact. My problem is I dont have a spotter and cant see my impacts in this burnt down flat corn field. Going to wait until the farmer plants the field(bare dirt) in a few weeks and take my son as a spotter to see where I am hitting. There was no wind where I was shooting from and no wind at the target because it was blocked by a treeline, but halfway inbetween the bullet was encountering wind.
If you have a spotting scope, bino, or even another scope handy you could try one of the phone scope or generic adapters to record your shots on your phone. I've done that to spot my 22-250 at 800 yard steel. You should be able to see the bullet's vapor trail. If you don't see where it hits it could help give you an idea where the bullet is going.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.