Help me make 1000 yard shot, chart attached

Gar Guru

Disclaimer- I am new at this Long Range shooting game. Took my factory rem 700 (did add a drop in Timney trigger) chambered in .300RSAUM with a Leupold VX5HD to a big cornfield saturday to shoot and create some DOPE. Last fall I had shot it to 500 consistently and my goal is to join the 1000 yard club. Am shooting a 155ELDM at 2970 and the data from the Hornady 4DOF chart is very close to what I actually did. The drop in MOA was consistently greater from one yardage to the next until I jumped from 800 to 900 yards. How could this be? It was getting dark and I took one poke at 1000 dialing in 29.75 moa and missed the target completely and I think I was too high. In your opinion, what moa should I dial up to go back and get a hit at 1000 if conditions are the same? Thanks

Attachments

• Drop Chart.jpg
    Drop Chart.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 368
Tough to answer that question with knowing your altitude and humidty, etc. Assuming 2000 DA, I'm coming up with 29 MOA for 1000. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but .75 MOA at 1000 yards is about 8".

Do you a dirt berm or something behind your target so you can see impacts?

I would go back at a different time of day and try the same dope at 900 and 1000. It looks to me that there may have been some environmental factors that caused the shift between the time that you shot 800 and 900. Change in temperature and light conditions can play havoc on POI vs POA. Did you notice anything changing in sight picture clarity between 800 yds and 900 yds?

it was 80 degrees and late in afternoon with left to right 1-2 mph wind with about 20 minutes between shots. Dialed up 1 moa windage and my shots at 600,700,800, and 900 were all about 6 inches to right of bullseye. I have a tall cardboard target to take back next time, am thinking that will save me some frustration and ammo to get a 1000 hit.

it was 80 degrees and late in afternoon with left to right 1-2 mph wind with about 20 minutes between shots. Dialed up 1 moa windage and my shots at 600,700,800, and 900 were all about 6 inches to right of bullseye. I have a tall cardboard target to take back next time, am thinking that will save me some frustration and ammo to get a 1000 hit.
Was the sun on left side?

Using .227 g7 for the 155 I recalculated ur velocity to 3061 based off your drops at 600 and 900 yards. The with a density altitude of 2000, you should be dialing up 27.5 moa for 1000yards at that density altitude.

Use a clay bird in a bright color instead of the cardboard target.
Use your 900 yd elevation data and add a few more.
Send one at the clay bird and note where the hit was.
Hold steady on the clay bird, meaning (dont move the gun) while you dial the scope to where the bullet hit.
Next shot should be a dead clay bird.

A tall cardboard box or backstop of some kind will help. A dirt berm to self spot your hits helps too. But a good spotter is invaluable during these times. Saves frustration and ammo. Any reason why you couldn't join that 1000 yard club now? I bet there are some people there that could help.

Agree with the tall cardboard backer. Lots of times even with established rifles and ammo when you stretch it out they are out 1MOA in all directions at that distance. So missing a regular target or something that is fairly well peppered with holes is a normal thing. Between a slight wind, just a bit more mirage making the target blurry or sun conditions, as was mentioned before. Just the amount or lack of sun will cause a perceived shift in target location. Hopefully you nail it, but once you do, 1100 or 1760 will be the next goals

If you don't have a backstop close to your target, your long misses will appear lower. This is because your bullet is traveling significantly further than your target before it impacts the flat terrain behind the target. Your short misses will appear properly for corrections, holdover, Kentucky windage, etc.

Disclaimer- I am new at this Long Range shooting game. Took my factory rem 700 (did add a drop in Timney trigger) chambered in .300RSAUM with a Leupold VX5HD to a big cornfield saturday to shoot and create some DOPE. Last fall I had shot it to 500 consistently and my goal is to join the 1000 yard club. Am shooting a 155ELDM at 2970 and the data from the Hornady 4DOF chart is very close to what I actually did. The drop in MOA was consistently greater from one yardage to the next until I jumped from 800 to 900 yards. How could this be? It was getting dark and I took one poke at 1000 dialing in 29.75 moa and missed the target completely and I think I was too high. In your opinion, what moa should I dial up to go back and get a hit at 1000 if conditions are the same? Thanks
"One poke" won't tell you much. Late in the day after shooting for extended period, you may have been a little fatigued, experienced evening conditions change, rushed your shot, "peeked" a little to see your accomplishment, breathed a little differently, slightly altered your position build, enjoyed a little extra wisp of wind, experienced the Extreme spread or Standard Deviation variance or even the rogue outlier in cartridges.......or probably a combination of all the above and other factors.....pennies make a dollar scenario. That's why it is termed "DOPE". As your experience and yardage grow, you will learn to appreciate the minute variables that make a "hit" or "miss." Be patient, thoughtful, methodical, regimented, consistent, keep learning and practicing....but, keep shooting. Remember.........CONSISTENCY IS KING........VARIATION THE DEVIL!!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.