Need help with 2285 yard shot.

Well it was fun anyway. Just curious, what is you max effective range before the bullet goes subsonic?
In would say that from 1800 yards onwards, things may start to get wonky.
I plan to shoot in this range over the next few weeks and see if I can pick up a trend.

Thanks for sharing your shooting there in OZ. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts.... a lot good information.

Best of luck with your next efforts. Looking forward to your next report.

Topshot, good try. You need to get some of those GS SP's If their BC is accurate (which by the shape of their bullet looks like it is), I'm showing you can shoot the 295 grainer out to 2400 supersonic with 95 MOA of drop. Spendy plinkers, but how many guys do you know shooting out to 2400 yds? :)

Hope I'm not feeding your itch :D

Those are awesome bullets. Problem is he will need a new barrel to shoot them unless he has at least a 1-8 twist.

Steve

There is always some sort of give and take for sure. Higher velocity lower bc, lower velocity higher bc. Fun isn't it? :D

Steve

Can anyone confirm the B.C. of this bullet from the information given?
It is a monolithic alloy bullet from "Pedator Projectiles". I have about 40 of them to try. Also any sugestions on a load using H1000 in the .338 Edge.
I think I might be able to get this bullet to stay supersonic to the desired distance if the B.C. is near right and I can get a M.V. of 3100fps

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Length:47.8mm[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Width:8.58mm[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Weight:235grn[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]BC: 0.82[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Box of 50 [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Recommended twist rate of 1-10.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Can anyone confirm the B.C. of this bullet from the information given?
It is a monolithic alloy bullet from "Pedator Projectiles". I have about 40 of them to try. Also any sugestions on a load using H1000 in the .338 Edge.
I think I might be able to get this bullet to stay supersonic to the desired distance if the B.C. is near right and I can get a M.V. of 3100fps

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Length:47.8mm[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Width:8.58mm[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Weight:235grn[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]BC: 0.82[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Box of 50 [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Recommended twist rate of 1-10.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'll give ya my estimation. BC is generally affected by SD and shape of bullet. The 300 SMK has a similar shape but is slightly shorter. It (300 SMK) also has a greater SD. Bryan Litz tested the HAT 265's to a BC of about .649 and they are a little longer than the SMK's but less SD. My guess is that Predator 235's wont have a better BC than the HATs. If you have 40 of them, load them up and shoot'm out there and see how they do. Set up something at 1500 yds or so.

Topshot, good try. You need to get some of those GS SP's If their BC is accurate (which by the shape of their bullet looks like it is), I'm showing you can shoot the 295 grainer out to 2400 supersonic with 95 MOA of drop. Spendy plinkers, but how many guys do you know shooting out to 2400 yds? :)

Hope I'm not feeding your itch :D

MR, shame on you!!! :D

Well boys the Predator projectiles proved to have problems of their own. For some season I can not get consistent seating depth. OAL varies by 0.040" and you can see that they are seated at different depths. Some seem to stick in the seating die a bit also. I use some of Shawn Carlocks excellent custom Edge dies so maybe they are designed to seat SMK type bullets, not these long pointy, alloy things. Maybe I need a VLD seater?

Anyway I have renewed enthusiasm and a new plan. It involves another as yet untried, projectile and waiting for perfect conditions. So stay tuned.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.