Help identifying 30-06 IMP rifle

From working with wild cats for a long time I would suggest that you use NEW cases to start off with. Use a middle of the road powder charge for the cheapest bullet you can find and fire them to form your cases. Great thing about the AI cambering is the case hardly ever grows length wise after the first firing if you do not bump the shoulder back too much.

I agree about the never growing much after fire forming. The other issue is that the case ends up about .015 or so shorter. Some say that this causes or could cause carbon ring buildup. If I was in his shoes, I'd get .270 win cases and put about 25 grains of a fast pistol powder in it, seal with a bit of tissue and fire away. The case should chamber with no issues. It may be necessary to trim back to the regular .06 length of 2.494 inches. That way you would never have cases that are always too short. It may not matter much to the OP however.

I agree about the never growing much after fire forming. The other issue is that the case ends up about .015 or so shorter. Some say that this causes or could cause carbon ring buildup. If I was in his shoes, I'd get .270 win cases and put about 25 grains of a fast pistol powder in it, seal with a bit of tissue and fire away. The case should chamber with no issues. It may be necessary to trim back to the regular .06 length of 2.494 inches. That way you would never have cases that are always too short. It may not matter much to the OP however.

Many years ago and with new brass, I could form the '06AI with 15gr of Unique then filled with cream of wheat (COW) and lightly wax the top.

Many years ago and with new brass, I could form the '06AI with 15gr of Unique then filled with cream of wheat (COW) and lightly wax the top.

I hear that it's messy and you can do it with just powder. Seems like a PITA to avoid 50 rounds of barrel wear.

A crush fit help hold the case and allows it to stretch properly. It'll let you shoot standard/ factory 30-06 ammo like you did with good accuracy and less cases lost. If the case isn't properly support you could have poor accuracy and lose case due to case head separation.

in a 30-06 Ackley improved when you fire off standard 30-06 ammo, you have just fire formed your new brass I was thinking about doing this myself. But I was thinking it would be nice just to buy some factory brass and hand load from there BUT the only brass I could find was almost $5.00 a case, if you put standard 30-06 in the chamber as far as I know you WILL NOT feel any "crush" as the chamber is slightly larger at the shoulder different degree as the other gentleman said. That is a very beautiful Rifle, and your right someone really took pride in the build. ENJOY!

it does not say were your at but if you want to get rid of that stinky old obsolete .30-06 and even more so because because it's an AI, you may be able to twist my arm to take it off your hands. really do some research, it may be that it was made by Ackley himself?

I hear that it's messy and you can do it with just powder. Seems like a PITA to avoid 50 rounds of barrel wear.

in a 30-06 Ackley improved when you fire off standard 30-06 ammo, you have just fire formed your new brass I was thinking about doing this myself. But I was thinking it would be nice just to buy some factory brass and hand load from there BUT the only brass I could find was almost $5.00 a case, if you put standard 30-06 in the chamber as far as I know you WILL NOT feel any "crush" as the chamber is slightly larger at the shoulder different degree as the other gentleman said. That is a very beautiful Rifle, and your right someone really took pride in the build. ENJOY!

What brass are you looking at that's $5 per case? If you can't get a snug fit I'd suggest seating the bullet out to touch or lightly jam. Your other option is to use .280Rem or .280RemAI brass and set the shoulder back until you get your crush fit. You'd need to expand the neck and trim however.

Im currently bidding on the upper 1" split loop scope mount and then I need to track down some glass. Ultimately I'd like to reload for her but for the time being I'm hoping factory 30-06 will shoot well in it. I'd really like to shoot a doe or cow with it this year! This rifle will make a nice polar opposite companion to my copper timberline 300wm with v6 4-24.

As far as glass which will be the best balance of glass quality while looking somewhat period correct on her?
Leupold Varix ii 2-7
Redfield Lo Pro 2-7

The Ackley Improved cartridge is about .004" shorter than a factory round. That's why it's a crush fit with a factory round. You won't always feel it which is why I said to strip the bolt down. But sending a fired round to a die marker is just fine. https://ackleyimproved.com/headspace-and-ackley-improved-cartridges/

Im currently bidding on the upper 1" split loop scope mount and then I need to track down some glass. Ultimately I'd like to reload for her but for the time being I'm hoping factory 30-06 will shoot well in it. I'd really like to shoot a doe or cow with it this year! This rifle will make a nice polar opposite companion to my copper timberline 300wm with v6 4-24.

As far as glass which will be the best balance of glass quality while looking somewhat period correct on her?
Leupold Varix ii 2-7
Redfield Lo Pro 2-7
I have a Leupold VariXIII 2.5-8 with mildot reticle on my 06. I think true period might be a fix power Weaver or Leupold. But for balance of form and function I think a gloss VariXIII would be acceptable. I'd ask the smiths/ shop you got the rifle from. The PO said you could shoot factory 30-06 ammo correct? A quick check with some headspace gauges should suffice. Then test with some factory ammo and you're set for this year's hunt. Good luck!

No and no. If you seal the ends of the neck with soap, wax or other sufficient material to hold the COW, it is a simple task to clean the barrel like any other shooting. If you do not seal the neck sufficiently, then you may spill the COW into the action, chamber etc.

As for fire-forming with just pistol powder in an open case, you cannot. The powder will not ignite, and you will blow it into the throat/barrel and have a mess. Smokeless powders and fire-forming require pressure to properly ignite and form, and even fast pistol powders will not burn properly in an open case.

Last edited:
No and no. If you seal the ends of the neck with soap, wax or other sufficient material to hold the COW, it is a simple task to clean the barrel like any other shooting. If you do not seal the neck sufficiently, then you may spill the COW into the action, chamber etc.

As for fire-forming with just pistol powder in an open case, you cannot. The powder will not ignite, and you will blow it into the throat/barrel and have a mess. Smokeless powders and fire-forming require pressure to properly ignite and form, and even fast pistol powders will not burn properly in an open case.

Others have said that it works. For either COW or no COW some swear by em and some swear at em. I'd just use a loaded round myself.

From the picture, it looks like the OP might have the AI, not the latter of the two from the picture but I would still do @antelopedundee recommendation in #42.

I have a .30 Gibbs (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/) but still playing around with load development.

.30 Gibbs loaded with Berger 190 VLDs.jpg

Loaded with 190 Berger VLDs.

Last edited: