HELP... Identifying Berger bullets

junkout

Bought these and I cant find any information on them? Couldn't find them on bergers site figured they are discontinued or they changed the name. Well ones with a BC of .640 and a 1-9 twist reference.
I know they say match grade but will they hold up to hunting of any kind??
Any information would be helpful.. Thanks Grizz

As far as I know, all the Bergers that come in the yellow boxes are for target shooting. And the orange box represents their Hunting counterparts.

As for using a Berger target bullet for hunting.....I have no idea. That would be a question best suited for Berger to answer.

Contact Ryan Neal @ Berger, via email, and he will be able to help you out. Might take him a day or so to respond, as they are usually wrapped up pretty good with emails, but he will email you back. He has always emailed me back, whenever I've contacted him with a question.

His email is: [email protected]

Hope this helps.

If those are "old Stock" they may not appear on Bergers current website. In the Begining all Bergers were in yellow boxes. Today they are in yellow, orange and tan boxes. Generally the target versions simply have a little thicker jacket, only a few thousands. In some cases I have found these to be very desirable for hunting. In some chamberings a little less expansion on closer shots is not a problem. So, depending on your intended muzzle velocity and average shot distance these could be exactly what you want for hunting. However, if you call Berger they will go with their code and tell you they are not intended for hunting. Last season we killed 19 big game animals from 200 yards to 1285 yards, with the Berger "target bullet" from the same 300 win. All one shot kills and none traveled but a few steps. So this is something you need to decide from what you know about your rifle, load, shot distances, and size of game you are after.

Jeff

Thanks for the help mudrunner and Broz..
Broz that's what I was thinking is that they were the older bergers almost like their hunting bullets.
I will be shooting them in a 6.5x284 I'm building up for long range hunting. Again thanks for the quick responses.

Measuring and comparing an identical VLD-H and a VLD-T physically, I can't tell a difference. I'm sure the insides are what makes the difference. And if the T bullets work just fine for hunting game, then that is some good info to have. Thanks for that heads up Broz.

I feel it is all about velocity at impact. For the very long pokes a thinner jacket may work better offering more expansion if only soft tissue is encountered. But at closer distances the thicker jackets will offer a little less expansion. I personal have not had an issue with either on game, but this is something one needs to decide for himself.

One thing for sure, there is no perfect bullet for all distances and shot angles. I have never had to track an animal shot with a high expansion bullet, I have had to track animals shot with low expansion " Premium Hunting" bullets. That is why I switched and use what I do.

Jeff

I will post my results as I will be hunting with both bergers and amax's when I finish building my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.