Help identifying 30-06 IMP rifle

Remington92

Hey folks I recently picked up a beautiful sporterized 1903 with Mannlicher stock and the more I dig into her the more I'm impressed with it. Whoever built this really put some thought and care into it. Does anyone know anything bout these mashburn triggers? It's super clean but a bit heavy for my taste. Also the bottom of the barrel is marked IMP 30-06. The shop I bought it from and the fella who consigned it (who also used to run gun stores back in the day) said I'd be safe to run standard 30-06 in it. So to test I took some low pressure M1 Garand ammo I had and she's definitely not a standard chamber! Would this be a 30-06 AI or how's the best way to measure it out? Really excited to track down the other half of the pachmayr scope mount and put like a 2-7 Varix ii on it.
91E9559F-43D4-4E89-96F9-146145946B77.jpeg
D2E0BD30-E72D-4472-AD1F-97E450FB36A7.jpeg
B3518564-8F82-4CDC-B71D-63AFF4EA6AF3.jpeg
CEC3DD20-1B60-4CCF-B83C-E2955E760130.jpeg

Thanks guys! I typically turn my nose at sporterized rifles but something bout this one, I had to bring it home with me. And my eyes are bad enough I need some magnification but also want something that looks like it would fit that rifle also

how do I tell if it's a crush fit? I don't notice any unusual resistance when chambering and the unedited casing looks fine if I eject it

Your best way to find out wich 30-06 Inp you have will be to look it up online. There are varing shoulder angles in the different forms. I have 2 books one could use. One is the P O Ackley book and the other is cartridges of the world. Both are very helpful if you can find them. Use your calipers and get some measurements off of your fire formed case. The look up 30-06 AI chamberings online and see wich your chamber most closely matches. Hope tis can help you.

Thanks guys! I typically turn my nose at sporterized rifles but something bout this one, I had to bring it home with me. And my eyes are bad enough I need some magnification but also want something that looks like it would fit that rifle also

how do I tell if it's a crush fit? I don't notice any unusual resistance when chambering and the unedited casing looks fine if I eject it
You should feel a slight tension or "scrubbing" when closing the bolt. But if your rifle is cock on closing you probably will have a tough time feeling anything. You could just take it to your smith and have them check it with some headspace gauges. How was the accuracy with the factory ammo? I'm pretty sure it's a 30-06 Ackley Improved. It's a pretty rifle for sure. Nice find! BTW Hornady makes dies for 30-06 AI for around 80 bucks.

Its the Ackley 40 deg shoulder. With today's newer powders, you should easily get 150fps more than the standard '06..."if" you want it. :)

A crush fit help hold the case and allows it to stretch properly. It'll let you shoot standard/ factory 30-06 ammo like you did with good accuracy and less cases lost. If the case isn't properly support you could have poor accuracy and lose case due to case head separation.

Mashburn was a well-known custom rifle builder and maker of gun accessories, especially replacement triggers, in the post-WWII era. I don't know if Mashburn sporterized that gun or simply made the trigger that someone else installed.

The fired casing appears to be a 30-06AI 40degree, as these were typical of some of his customs on mil actions.

The best way with certainty is to have a chamber cast made.... otherwise you are guessing... most likely an ackley 30-06 improved, but that is a "wildcat"