Help identifying 30-06 IMP rifle

Nice, does it have a cheek piece ? If so, can you show a pic of it ?

Yes sir here you go, it does have a Monte Carlo style cheek piece
612B3837-7A8C-4437-847F-2B42D112A8D4.jpeg
54BB957E-0644-4609-91FB-3318D069E5D3.jpeg

Mashburn was a well-known custom rifle builder and maker of gun accessories, especially replacement triggers, in the post-WWII era. I don't know if Mashburn sporterized that gun or simply made the trigger that someone else installed.

The fired casing appears to be a 30-06AI 40degree, as these were typical of some of his customs on mil actions.

Ive looked all over and can't find any defining marks but is there anyway to identify if it was one of his?

Ive looked all over and can't find any defining marks but is there anyway to identify if it was one of his?
Some custom rifles have stamping on them for identification , of course, but sometimes only if the owner/consigner allowed. If there is no makers mark, a starting point is to identify the way certain features were carved on the stock. For instance, the shape of a Schnabel, pistol grip or checkering. Early Paul Jaeger custom rifles if not stamped with his mark could be partially identified by the specific cheek piece his stock maker carved. Then a more definitive mark(Fritz) could be found under the butt plate put there by his stock maker Fritz Voigt. That's why I asked for a picture of the cheek piece. But that doesn't look anything like Fritz's design unless it is purely custom asked for by the owner.
So there might be something in the stock barrel channel, under the butt plate. or underside of the barreled action.

Ok nothing under butt plate or barrel channel that I can find. Where would crush fit show itself? I notice on my snap caps I have a perfect ring right where the shoulder meets the neck
9DC6C8B5-2C45-46E1-BA6B-F084161D8756.jpeg
866C0765-155D-4869-B663-72C087D04441.jpeg

Last edited:
The snap cap isn't necessarily an indication of a "proper" crush fit. If he put the snap cap in the chamber and not in the magbox then the extractor forced it into the chamber and not the bolt face.

Now that she's fairly well narrowed on chamber anyone have any good starting points for loads? Only manual that I have that lists the ackley is my nosler book. Probably sling something in the 180gr range. I'm curious to see how the mannlicher affects accuracy.

It's always fed from the box. I was under the impression you'd damage the extractor otherwise?
Depends on the rifle. I've watched a lot of guys feed into a chamber on controlled round fed rifles and have no issues. On one I saw the extractor break. Really the best way is to strip the bolt down to get the best feel on closing. Or take it in to get headspaced. But it's your rifle and by the pics it looks okay. Nosler, I think Ken Waters Pet Loads, and PO Ackley had load data. The defunct reloader's nest also did.

Q. What is a .30-06 Ackley Improved? How does it differ from the .30-06 Springfield, and can you fire the .30-06 Ackley Improved in a rifle chambered for .30-06 Springfield?

A. The .30-06 Ackley Improved is a wildcat cartridge formed by firing a .30-06 Springfield cartridge in a rifle that has been chambered or re-chambered for the "improved" version. Upon firing, the case "blows out" to conform to the new, enlarged chamber. The new dimension has a reduced body taper and increased shoulder angle compared to the original .30-06 Springfield case. By doing so, the volume is increased a small amount—less than five percent. You cannot get the fatter case of a .30-06 Ackley Improved into a standard .30-06 Springfield rifle chamber, but the reverse is obviously true. The velocity gain over the standard .30-06 Springfield is negligible.

1602575335569.png