Help find the criteria to buy a backpack

+1 for Eberlestock. They tend to be heavy but have superb frames, comfortable fit, and very high quality. Since I no longer hunt, I find the G2 Gunslinger ideal for my needs.

Harry

You speak the truth. They do run heavy but it's like a "Cadillac." No-one thinks light weight but rarely complain about the ride.

I am not familiar with all of the high end packs, but I love my Eberlestock, and can't say enough good about it! It does everything I want it to except carry itself.

Like a lot of guys here, I've tried a bunch of packs. I've had - Sitka, Badlands, a bunch of Eberlestocks including the Just One and M5 Elk packs. All good packs, just didn't work for me for one reason or another. Currently, I'm using a Mystery Ranch Pintler for meat hauling pack and an Eberlestock F5 Switchblade for a day pack. All of the top tier packs come in several sizes and are adjustable for the final fit. Each website covers how to select the correct size for their packs. Also, all have outstanding customer service peeps to assist in your selection. Just do some research and decide what features are important to you. Make sure the pack was designed as a meat hauler first and not as an afterthought. Also, don't be surprised if the first pack you choose is not the "perfect" pack for you. Lightly used packs sell quickly.

Bob

You can spend hundreds on a pack, and some are fairly comfortable. Most weigh way too much. I use a 3 lb. $20 pack I picked up at a gun show. What makes a difference, is getting used to the pack. I carry it loaded with lead for long walks for a few weeks before a hunt. By the time of the hunt, I don't feel it on my shoulders. I bone out my meat, and managed to carry out a cow elk in two trips (2 miles each way). My old knees told me that was too much. Even with brand name packs, I've had to reinforce and repair packs. A Speedy Stiching Awl is very handy. Most just aren't designed for that much weight. I see no need for a frame, either internal or external. In places like Alaska where they have silly rules about not deboning, I'd use an external frame. I don't use the belt when backpacking, but I do use it when packing out an elk.

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy a frame backpack for daily hunts that will be used to haul the game. I don't hunt alone, therefore I don't have to haul a whole animal. My main buying factor is how well and easy feels on my back.
I know who the majors are, but I dont know how to shop for a pack like that? What should I look at? Why? Do my measurements matter? Which ones? How do I select comfort?

I was going to think that this question would have been answered by now, so I didn't say anything but it seems you only got a few legit answers.

Like most things in life, the answer is it depends.
Here in the western US where some of us pack hunt deep in wilderness areas, we consider things that a regular backpacker would, but since the pack is used slightly differently some sacrifices are made.

The typical measurements are from the center point of your back when your hands are on your iliac crest to the c7 of your neck. That tells you what frame size you need. Some hunting specific packs do this but not all.

Other than that, there are no real measurements to consider. The weight and comfort come down to pack design and set up. Again it depends. I like more padding, some people don't.

It's important to have adjustments to the frame height, a good waist belt, shoulder strap adjustment, then load bearers. In that order. The comfort comes from how well you tune these to you, and because you get it feeling alright at the house, doesn't mean it's going to be good 10-15 miles in.
I would definitely adjust it with about the amount of gear you will be carrying in, for me thats about 50-65 lbs no weapon. I don't always strap a weapon so I leave that out of my pack weight.

Since you said daily hunting, so unlike what I'm talking about, it doesn't sound like you are actually packing in, so I would just look for a framed day pack that has a meat hauler compartment between the frame and the main pack. Size of the main pack will be somewhere around 28L. There's no definite way to be sure that a pack is 100% for you unless you actually put weight in it, and put miles on it.

Ya, even something like a mystery ranch popup is a decent day pack with game hauling capabilities.

I am a bit of a pack nut, and have tried MANY.

My suggestion is to find a Mountain Equipment Coop. They have lots of packs, helpful staff and a great return policy. Unfortunately they don't sell hunting/tac packs, but you will be able to try a few and figure out what body size YOU are and what bag size YOU need. I.E buy a bag, take it home, load it, go for a walk with it, return it.

Then, armed with that information you are more likely to be successful when you buy something online, sight unseen.

Personally I like the stone glacier frames the best

Being on this Board opens the door to so much collective experience - a great start for sure.

I've used Kifaru for over 20ish years or so. Found them doing this same type of ask. I retired my original LongHunter pack and replaced with their Duplex frame and 22 mag pack. Sure, a little spendy but (based on the measurements I provided) fit perfectly. The enhancements / changes were immediately noticeable. Since it had years since my last hunting pack purchase, I emailed, called, emailed again...and ended up with the guidance needed to select the right pack.
To me, money well spent.

happy to send you pics of mine if that would help.

My hunting buddies use Mystery Ranch and Kuiu. You said you don't hunt alone - what what packs do your hunting partners use?

I fight fire with Mystery Ranch - also money well spent.

I'd contact the Companies / packs you like, based on your research, and see if they have a return policy that will allow you to try and return if unused.

Good Luck!!

I'm not here to question perspectives but I would like to understand why you would say Eberlestock doesn't stand behind their products. Thx.
I purchased a RME edition pack frame and in within one month the frame part folded up from sitting down with pack on, no abuse, if I break something I do not expect some one to pay for my mistakes.I sent the part to Eberlestock they claimed abuse and made me purchase this part.So I installed the new part and took this pack back to Cabelas where I purchased it. Cabelas stood behind it and gave me a full refund and I went on to by KUIU, They even replace parts they wore out after years of use at no charge for both my and son and I. After a change in the way packs fit me, I gave the Stone Glacier a go and they as well have replaced parts that have worn out under normal wear and tear that I offered to pay for at no charge

There is a reason the high-end packs are high-end.
Top 3 for high-end packs mystery Ranch, Stone glacier, kafaru, ( not in order)
Better low-end Eberlestock.

The problem with most mountaineering or backpacking packs is they were not designed to carry large amounts of weight most expensive mountaineering gear is ounces not pounds.
Do yourself a favor whatever pack you like load it up with 60 to 70 lb and take a hike up&down hill with it readjust and then make a decision on it.
Alot of fitting and adjusting is need winter close vs summer close it all adds up at the end of the day.

There is a reason the high-end packs are high-end.
Top 3 for high-end packs mystery Ranch, Stone glacier, kafaru, ( not in order)
Better low-end Eberlestock.

The problem with most mountaineering or backpacking packs is they were not designed to carry large amounts of weight most expensive mountaineering gear is ounces not pounds.
Do yourself a favor whatever pack you like load it up with 60 to 70 lb and take a hike up&down hill with it readjust and then make a decision on it.
Alot of fitting and adjusting is need winter close vs summer close it all adds up at the end of the day.

Yep! A few years ago, we did a 10-day/100-miler backpacking trip with the scouts. Even though it was not the weight I planned on, my pack weighed 73 pounds, it was nowhere near a top tier brand but it was very comfortable and fits "my" frame.

Great advice all around.

I've ran a few brands myself including eberlestock, badlands, Mystery Ranch.

I currently use the Metcalf by MysteryRanch. Only complaint is lack of compartmental storage. It's a meat hauling machine though.

Others in my group use the Exo Gear and I'm impressed with those packs as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.