Backpack Shopping Help

The may be true of some packs, but certainly not all. Boots can't be adjusted to fit your foot, but good pack systems can be adjusted (in many ways) to fit different shapes, sizes, and body types. Many boots either work, or they don't. But if you look at our packs as an example, we have multiple frame heights, micro-adjust torso settings, micro-adjust hipbelts, lumbar shim system, and more option to dial-in fit for YOU. We sell only online and have an incredibly low return rate, so it can be possible to buy a pack "sight unseen" and have great fit. (We also offer a 30-Day trial period, so that you can ensure the pack will work for you.)

I'm not saying that as a sales pitch for Exo, but to bring to light some of the things that guys looking at packs online (from any brand) should consider in terms of fit/adjustment.
Just out of curiosity... do you believe your 30 day return policy gets abused? That's an entire hunting season for some guys. I may check into your pack system too. I've listened to your podcasts forever and have loved following your rifle build.

Had the chance to check out some Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch packs this evening. Really liked how the Metcalf, Pinter and Selway fit. I'm torn between the Selway and Metcalf.
Any opinions on the Selway vs Metcalf?

Had the chance to check out some Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch packs this evening. Really liked how the Metcalf, Pinter and Selway fit. I'm torn between the Selway and Metcalf.
Any opinions on the Selway vs Metcalf?

It's really up to you and your needs. Frames are both the light guide if I remember right. So really it comes down to volume. Keep in mind, you can compress a bag down if you don't need the volume but you can't really make it bigger. This really depends if you plan on doing over night on the trail or if you want to do 3-5 days. Provisions can take up some space unless you're like me and only eat one meal a day. Or how well your equipment packs down. If you're not experienced then you will figure out what you can do without, if you are then...consider your pack volume.

Last edited:
Just got back from a 8 day sheep hunt in the backcountry. I have a kuiu 7800 with the pro carbon Fiber frame. My partner has a mystery ranch. I feel the mystery ranch was a better fit and it had larger robust buckles. The material was more water resistant than the kuiu as well. I did like the kuiu for all of the pockets and compartments it had. I like keeping everything organized. The partner calls it a gear bomb when ever we would stop and he needed something out of his pack because he had one large compartment.

Just got back from a 8 day sheep hunt in the backcountry. I have a kuiu 7800 with the pro carbon Fiber frame. My partner has a mystery ranch. I feel the mystery ranch was a better fit and it had larger robust buckles. The material was more water resistant than the kuiu as well. I did like the kuiu for all of the pockets and compartments it had. I like keeping everything organized. The partner calls it a gear bomb when ever we would stop and he needed something out of his pack because he had one large compartment.
That's really good info! The Selway would definitely be a gear bomb, but the Metcalf has various compartments.

EXO. Plenty tough, COMFORTABLE and doesn't weight 8# before you put anything in it! Great waterproof design too
I don't mind the weight, if it means the pack is more rugged and will provide me the option to carry and support heavier weights more efficiently. I didn't know the EXO was waterproof though. That's very interesting.

I am similar to you. 6' 1" and a 32" inseam. I used an Eberlestock for several years and was happy with it for the most part, but the pack itself was heavy. I switched over to EXO and have been happy with it. My only issue is that the chest strap rides a little high for my liking. The EXO handles 150# loads (elk hind quarter and front shoulder) as well as the Eberlestock. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Imho, for backpacks, you are way better off to go buy it at the store. I went to a Scheels store and the sales guy was really helpful. I had a few more needs in back pack for comfort in my low back because of a broken pelvis and 4 vertebrae in my low back. The guy was really good about helping me make sure they all fit right and were adjusted properly when I tried them on. After the fitting he went over and grabbed a 40 lb bag of dog food and put it in there and showed me how to adjust the load and straps then he had me walk around with the weight in them for a few min. That was really helpful and I ended up buying a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth model from them. Good luck in the search.

Kyle

This is one of the best pack comparison videos i've watched, although i don't think he gave MR a fair shake because of his pack choice. I've used Dana Design & MR packs since the late 90's & never really considered trying anything different. After watching this video, i went to the local SG dealer & tried on their Sky Talus 6900 & it wouldn't come close to holding what i had in my MR pack which is a 6500 with the Nice Frame. They didn't have the Sky Guide 7900 in stock, so when i got home i called SG in Bozeman, MT & ended up "buying" one to try out before i go on my elk hunt in a month in CO. I got it last week & loaded everything from my MR pack into it & walked a quarter of a mile with it & came back home & unloaded it. They aren't a bad pack but with what i carry, it just didn't work as well as my MR. I'm not young & i don't have, nor can afford, the latest & most up to date, lightweight, compressible gear(sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent). The way i had to load the SG, it just didn't feel as stable & until i put my tent on the meat shelf, i couldn't even raise my head to look up. The quality of the SG pack is good but probably not as good as my MR pack which i bought in 2008, so i can't say how their quality is today. All this to say, that the more packs you can actually put on & try out, the better you'll know what's going to feel & fit your body the best!

I don't mind the weight, if it means the pack is more rugged and will provide me the option to carry and support heavier weights more efficiently. I didn't know the EXO was waterproof though. That's very interesting.
They have an integral dry bag designed to snap inside. Your mandatory dry stuff can be loaded into the top and other gear can be put in through the main zipper. Pretty slick!

You're doing the important part. Training. If you keep training, even with a pack that doesn't fit quite right, you'll toughen up enough to tackle the job. I use a $20 pack I bought at a gun store, but reinforced it and train with it for weeks before the hunt. I carried out a cow elk in two trips a couple of years ago. I don't use a frame at all. A boned elk conforms to your back. All you need to adjust is the straps. A big consideration for me is weight. My pack weighs about 3 lbs. I'll carry that pack for several days on a hunt, so I want the lightest weight I can get. Most high end packs weigh more than I'm willing to carry.

Last edited:
I have owned several Hill People Gear backpacks and now own exactly zero. I like their philosophy, company, ethos, and everything but cannot get on board with their backpacks. The last one I purchased was a Qui-Ya I believe, where you bend the stays to fit your back and it didn't go well. I have never been more miserable on a backpacking trip than after one day of trying to use that pack. I am sure if I was in a fitting room with a representative from their company and they were bending the stays to fit my back it may have been better, but that was not the results I had. They have a youtube video which I followed to the best of my ability but still got poor results. Sold it immediately afterwards and haven't really looked back. I have had a Tarahumara and Umlindi which were more or less fine but operated them with significantly less weight. My other gripe about HPG stuff is that it is made with really heavy Cordura which is abrasive on just about everything, and I feel like they have an excessive number of straps. Lastly, all their stuff is made by First Spear which is a company I feel is kind of proud of their stuff to a fault and price it accordingly.

Now if you want to set up a belt platform for coyotes or upland game, its hard to beat HPG's recon belt. I have one and love it, and have never found a similar product that performs better in that particular application.

If I want a backpack though, I am all Kuiu.

Myself and many of my hunting partners have gone with the Kuiu pack systems and have had no complaints. In total took 4 Bulls out of hell's canyon last year and the packs performed excellently. As said above the additional compartments are awesome for organization.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.