Help find the criteria to buy a backpack

Mc Fraser

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy a frame backpack for daily hunts that will be used to haul the game. I don't hunt alone, therefore I don't have to haul a whole animal. My main buying factor is how well and easy feels on my back.
I know who the majors are, but I dont know how to shop for a pack like that? What should I look at? Why? Do my measurements matter? Which ones? How do I select comfort?

If you aren't able to go and actually try the packs before you buy then I would suggest looking at reviews and youtube to see which packs offer the features you want. Top of the line packs all offer different things that are valuable. Personally I like a frame pack that takes the weight off my shoulders and also compresses down for day hunts. I have went with the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and really like it. Some others to look at would be Stone Glacier, EXO, Kifaru.

How much volume you need to pack a sheep plus gear for a day hunt, let's say rifle, some backup base layer, a bit of food knives, etc. Assume the sheep will be quartered and not deboned?

I would also read up on internal vs. external frame packs. I have carried an entire hind quarter of elk in my Mystery Ranch (Dana Design) with no problem and they clean up like new. External frames are cooler in the heat but it also puts the weight further back and can make balance worse on steep trails and shoulder strain easier. Find a good outdoor /backpacking forum and pick their brains.

I work for Exo, but will answer this question without being "brand specific".

Because you specifically mention you want a pack for hauling-out game, you do need a pack that can fit YOU well. That said, it is important to look at how a pack is built and what type of sizing and adjustability it offers. You'll need the proper frame height, torso adjustment, hipbelt sizing/adjustment, and ideally some way to adjust the lumbar.

If you have any more questions, just holler. I'd be happy to help — even if that means getting you setup in something besides an Exo.

Buy a kuiu pack. they are great. super comfortable. light enough for long hunts, but heavy enough material to not get destroyed in the brush like an ultralight backpacking pack would.

all of their packs can separate from the carbon fiber frame to be able to haul meat close to your back (check out some of the youtube videos on it)

also, once you get the frame, all of their pack bags will work on it. so, just going for a quick day hunt, put the 1800 cu in bag on. big day hunt with glass? 3600 cu. 3-5 day hunt? 6000 cu in. and so on. its great. some guys will even walk in with a say 6000 cu in bag and bring the 1800 bag with them. once they set up camp for the "week" then take the 6000 off and put the 1800 to day hunt out of camp and not have to have the bigger bag on their back.

its a great system

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy a frame backpack for daily hunts that will be used to haul the game. I don't hunt alone, therefore I don't have to haul a whole animal. My main buying factor is how well and easy feels on my back.
I know who the majors are, but I dont know how to shop for a pack like that? What should I look at? Why? Do my measurements matter? Which ones? How do I select comfort?

Regardless of the name brand, the best thing is to "actually" try it.

FEENIX said:
"Regardless of the name brand, the best thing is to "actually" try it."
"I was afraid ppl will say that ... I realize that the best test is to take it out with weight ..."

Yeh, no matter what a person can not reasonably try them all. There are some very good comparison test videos on
you-tube by 'Go Hunt'.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.