nctta

What I have to work with:

(1) Long action CRF Model 70 action
(1) Short action Model 700 action
(2) Flutted #3 barrels that are flutted to finish at 24". 1:8 twist

I was planning on going:

6.5 Credmoore on the SA 700
6.5-06 or 6.5-284 on LA M70....maybe 6.5x55

Thoughts or other options? I like the easy of loading for all and factory ammo and head stamped brass on 6.5-284 and CM. I have a 7saum and like idea of 6.5saum but concerned with brass availablity.

Are you wanting to build both of these in a 6.5 caliber?

I personally built a 6.5-06, and I love it. It is very easy to load for, everything I load in it shoots like a dream.

On the short action, my vote would go for the Sherman Short mag.

Both the barrels I have are 6.5. i haven't decided if the little bit the Sherman offers over 06 or 284 case, (for me) is worth the brass prep and extra cost of custom dies.

I like the 6.5CM. My will power will crumble one of these days.

How does the barrel life compare 6.5-06 vs 6.5x284? And where would a 6.5-06ai stand?

Between the 6.5x284 and the 6.5cm I think you have your bases covered in the <6.5mag arena.

I like the 6.5CM. My will power will crumble one of these days.

How does the barrel life compare 6.5-06 vs 6.5x284? And where would a 6.5-06ai stand?

Between the 6.5x284 and the 6.5cm I think you have your bases covered in the <6.5mag arena.

Barrel life is better in the 6.5-06 compared to 6.5-284. One of my buddies built the 6.5-06 AI when I built my 6.5-06, so it will be interesting to compare the two side by side this spring.

Nctta: I believe you can purchase fully prepped brass from Elkaholic, and I believe he sells dies as well. Yes it would be more expensive, but what isnt?

6.5 SS will easily outperform any of the above mentioned, and do it with under 3" coal. In the long action, the 6.5 Sherman performance will equal the SS and cases are easy to form......Rich

I'd use the Winchester CF action. It doesn't twist in bedding as much as the Remington and it's near 2 times stiffer.

Don't know why you want a fluted barrel, but I'd get a cut rifled one that's fluted before the bore's lapped to specs. Fluting finished hammer forged or button rifled barrels usually changes their bore/groove diameters a little unevenly under the flutes; much less, if at all, with cut rifled barrels.

It all depends on what your looking to do really. The performance of the short action 6.5 calibers listed and the long action ones aren't far off and either will allow you to accomplish similar things

As far as short action goes the 6.5 saum will compete or outperform the calibers you listed for your long action so it kind of defeats the purpose of building two 6.5's. The 6.5 creedmoor is a great cartridge, as well as the 6.5x47 and the 260. Rem. I personally went with the 260. Rem as my choice but when it's time to rebarrel I'll probably try the 6.5x47 next.

As for the long action 6.5 I like the 6.5x284

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
2 builds; one off SA 700, other off LA M70
I have the barrels already and I flutted for weight and looks

Don't know why you want a fluted barrel, but I'd get a cut rifled one that's fluted before the bore's lapped to specs. Fluting finished hammer forged or button rifled barrels usually changes their bore/groove diameters a little unevenly under the flutes; much less, if at all, with cut rifled barrels.

That only happens if the barrel has not been heat treated correctly after it was rifled. As long as the barrel is heat treated, I believe most button rifle companies heat treat them twice, there shouldn't be any changes to the bore/groove diameters.

I wouldn't take a chance fluting a perfect button rifled barrel that's been properly stress relieved. Fluted barrels are rarely seen in the winner's circles in rifle matches.

I've no idea why you want to flute the barrel, but here's some things to think about if you're not already aware of them.

* Fluting a barrel does not make it stiffer; it'll be less stiff because metal's removed that resisted bending.

* Fluted barrels cool only a little less than solid ones. Well made plain barrels properly fit to actions will shoot a few dozen shots 20 seconds apart without walking shot impact in some direction from the point of aim; they're not impaired by heating up.

Thanks for that opinion on flutted barrels. Sorta irrelevant to my post and my reasons for fluting. You have no idea why I wanted to flute because you didn't bother the read, much like your failure to read that I have two actions and not that I was asking advice on which action to use. I would think that reading is fundamental in replying to a post if your purpose is anything other that running up your post count. And just wondering Bart how many M70 actions do you see strapped to those no flutted barrels in the "winner circle" in rifle matches?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.