338 help deciding

BEEMAN

Just ordered an IBI CF barrel at 23" with a 9 twist. Now I need to decide what to build. I don't need the biggest baddest 338. This guns main use will be for elk from up close to no farther than 600 yds. Rest of the components are Mesa altitude, BDL bottom metal, defiance tenacity LA Mag bolt, jewel trigger. Hoping to order a SRS brake. I'm in Canada so accessing certain things can be a problem. Was considering a 338 Mega, 338 RUM, 338 Win mag. Will be shooting an all copper bullet of some sort in the 225-250 gr, no heavier . Please Leave your opinion and why one of these or a different choice is better. Open to others that I have not listed. Hoping for a velocity in the 2850-3000 FPS range.

Just ordered an IBI CF barrel at 23" with a 9 twist. Now I need to decide what to build. I don't need the biggest baddest 338. This guns main use will be for elk from up close to no farther than 600 yds. Rest of the components are Mesa altitude, BDL bottom metal, defiance tenacity LA Mag bolt, jewel trigger. Hoping to order a SRS brake. I'm in Canada so accessing certain things can be a problem. Was considering a 338 Mega, 338 RUM, 338 Win mag. Will be shooting an all copper bullet of some sort in the 225-250 gr, no heavier . Please Leave your opinion and why one of these or a different choice is better. Open to others that I have not listed. Hoping for a velocity in the 2850-3000 FPS range.
I propel the 225 NAB at 2900 FPS out of my .338 WM with 24" 1:10"; IMHO, this fits the bill for what you are trying to accomplish.

I propel the 225 NAB at 2900 FPS out of my .338 WM with 24" 1:10"; IMHO, this fits the bill for what you are trying to accomplish.
Yes it sounds like it does. I looked at some 338 win load data and wasn't sure it would have that kind of performance. I know some data is quite conservative. So do you think with a 23" barrel it could get 2800 FPS with a 250 BD2? Don't know why I'm worried about performance so much. I've never shot an elk past 625 yds. I believe the 338 win and the Mega are close to each other in case capacity.

Ya just won't regret a 338 Edge!

If you're shooting 250 grain copper bullets and want to mag feed the 33 Nosler is a great choice, especially with Peterson brass available.

Alex Wheeler has the 338PRC AW.

That would be my choice.

Recent Posts