338 help deciding

Thanks rich. I sent you an email earlier today. You Can give me some more detailed advise if you have time tomorrow. I think either the Mega or 33 SM would do more than I need. Just want to pick the one that will comfortably get me my velocity goal of around 2900-3000 with either a hammer or bulldozer in that 230-250 gr range. A 250 at 3100 FPS out of a 24" barrel may be a good choice. I know I won't notice the difference with a 23" barrel. Just don't want to have to push on it to hard to get the velocity. Thanks again.
Call me tomorrow

I finally had a chance to read through this topic. Here's a couple of thoughts:

Just because the cartridge has .338 in its name does not mean you have to choose a 250 gr. bullet. This is especially true if you're wanting to shoot solids instead of cup and core.

Be aware that you may run into problems renting a reamer which is ground for these longer, high BC solids. You might have to rent a throating reamer also.

I recently built a .338-06AI hunting rifle. Simple components like -06 brass and LR primers made it an easy solution. No, this is not a long range cartridge but 600 yards is readily within its range. I started using the 200 gr. Super BD2 bullet with my standard AI reamer and a throating reamer in a 24" barrel. Consistently running 2850 fps without stepping on it, makes it more than adequate for those 600 yard shots without compromise.

If the 06 based cartridge isn't up your alley then keep your .338 Win. Mag. and have room to spare. I also tested the 200 gr. Super BD2 and found plenty of velocity (3030 fps) to cover your 600 yard shots. Energy was calculated at a tad over 2,000 ft/lbs at 600 yards.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Thanks for that. I have a magnum action in defiance tenacity. As I said I don't need the biggest and baddest 338 out there. My capabilities aren't there for game out past 600 yds. Truthfully I don't NEED another gun. But with a brand new action sitting here what's a guy supposed to do lol?

Build, of course!:D

I did realize your action was a .532 magnum bolt face but I wanted the comparison using the -06 case capacity and length.

I am working on a 33XC with a longer barrel for spot/shoot work.

Enjoy!

:)
That 33XC will be a hammer! I don't need that much horsepower. Those are impressive numbers to me out of your 338-06. Nothing wrong with that. You are right as that is all I'd need.

Thanks for the tip. But I won't be buying anything from there. What bullet do you load in your 33 nosler?
I settled on the 225ttsx at a bit over 2850, its a pretty mild load, Swapping powders I have run it up to 3050ish, but that was getting hard on the brass. I use it as a 500 and under gun and at a hair over 8 pounds total, recoil is pretty snappy. And i have other rifles to stretch things out.
I have run the 265lrab just shy of 3k but I was never real happy with the accuracy. That bullet just wasnt consistent.

Well here is my thoughts with lots of testing !
I would jump on a 338 Rum .
I have one built with a 24" carbon barrel and send the 250 gr bergers @ 2997 ft.per.sec. so far everything has been bang flop !
I just picked up another prefit for the Defiance tenacity in 26" 338 Rum . I'm going to set that one up with the 300 gr bergers...just for fun !
I'm terrible at counting the 338's I have built /played with ! This new one could be 12 or 13 not sure !
Been down the 30 " barrel , 26" barrel and then the 24" barrel ...Wow it's very handy in.the timber ! And a joy to carry in my Eberlestock pack !

You could do the 338 Edge also ! Maybe I will try a short barreled one next !

Good Luck in your decision !

Rum Man

Just ordered an IBI CF barrel at 23" with a 9 twist. Now I need to decide what to build. I don't need the biggest baddest 338. This guns main use will be for elk from up close to no farther than 600 yds. Rest of the components are Mesa altitude, BDL bottom metal, defiance tenacity LA Mag bolt, jewel trigger. Hoping to order a SRS brake. I'm in Canada so accessing certain things can be a problem. Was considering a 338 Mega, 338 RUM, 338 Win mag. Will be shooting an all copper bullet of some sort in the 225-250 gr, no heavier . Please Leave your opinion and why one of these or a different choice is better. Open to others that I have not listed. Hoping for a velocity in the 2850-3000 FPS range.
I have s custom built rifle that really shoots great, It is based on the 338 Lapua case, necked to 30 cal!

There's just something about the .338 caliber that's hard not to like in whatever cartridge case one chooses. Though I've never owned a 338 win mag, I can appreciate its longtime merits and devoted users. Many a critter has fell at sound of its thunderous report. Maybe one day I may own one. A friend and his dad have enjoyed grandpas old 338-06 ai and still employ its service to this day making memories and telling stories about its performance. Several years ago because of a rifle malfunction I was able to get behind an accurate 338 edge borrow to me by a friend at a long range recreational shoot. At the time I didn't even know what the 338 edge was. After I finished shooting it that day, I knew what it was. It was AWESOME!! Unreal accuracy and tremendous energy upon impact. From that moment on I was hooked on the 338. I went on and built a 338 edge on a single shot Pierce with a 30" Bartlein. That rifle was a legit 1/4 moa rifle with 300 gr Berger's. I've since sold it to a friend as my wants have changed. For a moment I had a Weatherby accumark chambered in the 338-378. I was impressed with it for what it was. Decently accurate at 1moa with factory ammo. It's since gone to another friend who is a Weatherby man. Nowadays I'm enjoying a 338 Lapua ai all custom built with a 26" proof. More than enough but AWESOME. In light of the original question, I really like the custom 338 RUM I built, also with a 26" Proof. I built it to run 250 Berger's. They're moving along at a modest speed of 2850 fps with more under the pedal if desired. However it was hard to leave sub 1/4 moa accuracy for a little more speed. Besides, I had a limited entry elk hunt I was preparing for and didn't have time to keep chasing at the time. I may see what more it can do. I did kill a bull with this rifle too. 4000 fpe at 180 yds with that 250 Berger was impressive to say the least. I'm very happy with the RUM and feel no loss whatsoever with it instead of the edge I had. All this being said, I did just drop off parts to my smith for a new 338 Sherman Mega build. Going with a Lone Peak medium fuzion receiver and a 24" Proof. All fit up in a Manners mcst. Looking forward to my own results with this one. Time will tell. What's not to like about a good 338?

Thanks for that Jepp577. Please post up your results with the Mega. After a long search up here I'm not finding brass for anything 338. May need to see how much it will cost to import Sherman brass. I did find some 338 win mag brass. But don't know where I'd find a reamer to rent. Even though I'm in Canada the Sherman Mega might be my Easiest option. Case capacity is similar in the mega and 338 Win so I'd expect similar performance between the two??? Also with the Mega and long 225-250 gr Mono I won't have any mag length issues.

Thanks I'll look into it. These days whatever brass I can find might decide what I build.
In my opionion I think that you have answered your own question. If components are an issue I would stick with what is easily available. I am not familiar with all of the cartridges you have named in the OP. My question is how many "FPS" are you trying to ebb out of a .338 caliber cartridge? What happens when components dry up more than they are already and you have a rifle chambered in a cartridge where components are difficult to find? The .338 WinMag is a proven cartridge, components like brass are easily available as are the dies for reloading. Again just my opinion.

Easy and it has been doing what you want for over 60 years. No bling bling 30 word description. Three numbers and two words. 338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM;);)
Very poor choice and an example of rifles designed before modern slower powders became available. Kinda like bubba at the garage who's been doing it the same way for 50 years. The whole series of 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WM, and the 338 WM are old small case designs.

I had a friend that was so proud of his Pre 64 7mm rem Mag. He was so proud and talked about his FPS from his "Book" listed hot loads. I had bought a wildcat 7mm STW wildcat and one of the best chronos sold. The chrono doesn't lie. side by side my down loaded accuracy paper loads went faster that his primer popping rounds.

It's the same way comparing a 338 wm to my 338 Lapua. I can probably under load the case 10 grains and exceed a WM FPS that is so over pressure that it is hurting the primer pockets.

Do you need a real modern magnum???? I lived in Alaska and people would come into town with a big ol bear in the pickup and they were taken with 300 mags or 338 WM. Dead is dead, but modern mags have some real improvements