338 help deciding

All good points. Thanks. I don't think I need a larger case such as a 338 Rum or an Edge. I practice out to just under 1000 yds and shoot game no farther than 600 yds. I know the Mega or 338 win mag won't achieve what the bigger 338's will. I also don't need the extra powder or recoil of a bigger 338. I will say if I could find 338 RUM brass up here and a reamer it is a possibility. But I do worry about COAL with the Rum even though I have a Wyatt extended box. These monos are Loooong. Truthfully my 300 win mag or my 280AI would work for my elk gun, and have in the past. But I don't have a 338. It's a want, more than a need. After the 338 is built I got em covered pretty well from 6 dasher up to the 338.

Howdy Beeman, I have been planning on a 338 Win Mag built myself. But I was thinking of not getting input because I'm going to build mine just for the 186gr Hammers and 160gr TTSX. like you had said I have calibers for what I hunt. I don't have a 338. With the new option we have today, I could build what I want, with a BIG MUZZLE BRAKE on it. Just sharing my thoughts. Hope you do what you want. And have fun. 😉

Howdy Beeman, I have been planning on a 338 Win Mag built myself. But I was thinking of not getting input because I'm going to build mine just for the 186gr Hammers and 160gr TTSX. like you had said I have calibers for what I hunt. I don't have a 338. With the new option we have today, I could build what I want, with a BIG MUZZLE BRAKE on it. Just sharing my thoughts. Hope you do what you want. And have fun. 😉
Yes I will build what I want, but like to hear others advice/options. Thanks everyone for the input. Yours sounds like a fun build. Those lighter all coppers should really move right along!!

I've owned (3) .338 Edges. The last was built GAP. There isn't enough difference to matter with the heavies. Between the .338 Edge and the .338 Ultra Mag or the .338 Lapua for that matter. The ultra Mag is a very accurate chambering and the shorter case fits the heavies better when it comes to Coal. If I had to do it again. I would have never had a .338 Edge built. It would have been a .338 Ultra Mag out of the gate. The larger bolt face of the Lapua doesn't interest me in the least.

For a little ways…..then "fall on their face"! 😉 memtb
I haven't had a chance to run the lighter mono's, but a .338 RUM will launch a 180 Accubond at 3550 easily.

Launches 'chucks at range.
Has shot well to 800+ yards for me.
Antelope definitely fall on their face.

One hopes the lighter mono's will be less destructive to deer/antelope size game.

All good points. Thanks. I don't think I need a larger case such as a 338 Rum or an Edge. I practice out to just under 1000 yds and shoot game no farther than 600 yds. I know the Mega or 338 win mag won't achieve what the bigger 338's will. I also don't need the extra powder or recoil of a bigger 338. I will say if I could find 338 RUM brass up here and a reamer it is a possibility. But I do worry about COAL with the Rum even though I have a Wyatt extended box. These monos are Loooong. Truthfully my 300 win mag or my 280AI would work for my elk gun, and have in the past. But I don't have a 338. It's a want, more than a need. After the 338 is built I got em covered pretty well from 6 dasher up to the 338.
Cory,

Yep, that's why I responded as such in #17. For your intended purpose (600Y), the .338 WM is your easy button, as I noted in #2. However, propelling the 225-250 gr to 2850-3000 FPS out of a 23" barrel might be challenging but not impossible. But your most significant challenge is acquiring the components and reamer at your end for whatever you decide to go with. Good luck!

Ed

Exactly Ed. As far as an "easy button ", I think up here it's the Sherman. I did find some 338 win mag brass, but no reamer. The only problem with the Sherman is I have to import the brass. Reamer and dies can ship directly to me. So if that's my only drawback on the build it's not to bad. Especially with things being so hard to find these days. Will see how much it costs to import the brass. Started communicating with a company yesterday. They are at a trade show so don't know till early next week. I also ran numbers yesterday in a ballistic calculator with the 250 SBD2 at 2850 FPS. It's a capable 1000 yd elk round with that velocity at my 1450 ft elevation. So WAY more than I need or am capable of.

Rum due to performance and brass vailability from adg. Edge would be equally as good.
I'd be open to it if I could find brass and a reamer to rent up here. After 2-3 day's of searching I gave up. For me searching for components and parts really takes the fun out of it. At one point I was actually thinking of just quitting and selling my action and stock; as I felt it wasn't worth the aggravation.

I'd be open to it if I could find brass and a reamer to rent up here. After 2-3 day's of searching I gave up. For me searching for components and parts really takes the fun out of it. At one point I was actually thinking of just quitting and selling my action and stock; as I felt it wasn't worth the aggravation.
If you have an importer, we have lots of brass on hand here. I'm not sure how to get it across the border, but we have it in stock virtually all the time if you can figure out how to get it across the border. So thats at least one issue possibly solved. If you ever come to the US for vacation, I could ship it to you there and you could take it back in your checked luggage I would think also.
You'd think with our virtually open border with Mexico, it would be easier to get something North.