338 help deciding

The NM is not an option for me as I already have an action with standard magnum bolt face. Thanks for time you spent making up that chart. Impressive numbers for sure.

BEEMAN, with your living in Canada, I understand your access limitations. Depends on what 338 cartridges are imported and available. Commercially available ones are the safest bet. 2 come to mind. The 33 Nosler and the 338 Norma. The 33 Nosler is almost the same as the 330 Dakota which I know very well. From a 23" barrel and a 200 gr bullet is very likely to reach 3000 fps, and a 225 gr bullet might be 2800-2875 depending on the powder you have to use. A 250 gr bullet is most likely to reach in the high 2750 fps range. With the Norma and a 250 gr bullet pretty sure you could reach 2825-2850 fps and at or over 3000 with a 200-225 gr bullet. The Norma shoots about 100 fps slower than the Lapua Mag from the same length barrel. Consider subtracting an additional 25 ft/sec/inch of acceleration to get some idea what to expect from a 338Norma shooting from a 23" barrel. The 265 Nosler LRAB is a lead core jacketed bullet and is out of your specified weight range. For ranges of 600 yds or more, BC becomes a significant consideration. The 225 gr Nosler E-Tip has a G1=0.611, the Barnes LRX 250 gr has a G1=0.602, the Badlands 200 gr BD2 has a G1=0.595, and the 225 gr BD2 has a G1=0.665. Nosler products are variably available in the US, the Barnes is listed as unavailable, the 338Norma brass is available in the US, and the Badlands bullets are able to be imported to Canada through Reloading International and readily available in the US. The pic below is a hypothetical 338 Norma load from a 23" barrel calculated using the JBM trajectory calculator with an expected MV of 3150 fps using a 200 gr all copper bullet with a G1=0.595. The MV is extrapolated from that of a 338 Lap Mag 24" barrel using a 200 gr all copper bullet from data listed in the 2022 Hodgdon Annual Manual. Subtracted about 200 fps from the Magpro max charge for that bullet. The Norma case and a 200 gr high BC bullet looks to me like your best combination with all the components available in your country. Hope this info helps.
[/QUOTE]

Excellent! I particularly like your comment on the .338 NM cartridge. My .338 NMI is near completion, and I will explore the 250-300g options. I also like my brass choices and availability; Lapua and Peterson.
[/QUOTE]
Norma also.
The NM is not an option for me as I already have an action with standard magnum bolt face. Thanks for time you spent making up that chart. Impressive numbers for sure.
Just for my information, how available is 338 Norma brass in Canada? Remember the 200 gr pill will also work in the 338 Rum. You can use the chart after seeing what MV you might obtain from the Rum case with all the numbers below that still being valid.

I do not know about 338 NM brass availability up here. My friend has one but I have never looked for brass.

Best part about a 338 win mag isn't just that it will do everything that you're asking of it but you can go to most any mom and pop store and find ammo. I forgot ammo once a long while ago for my 300 win back before it was popular. Couldn't find it anywhere. Managed to find 2 rounds in my pickup. Look into Berger bullets over Vihtauvori N570 with cci250 primers and knock 'em dead!

Just ordered an IBI CF barrel at 23" with a 9 twist. Now I need to decide what to build. I don't need the biggest baddest 338. This guns main use will be for elk from up close to no farther than 600 yds. Rest of the components are Mesa altitude, BDL bottom metal, defiance tenacity LA Mag bolt, jewel trigger. Hoping to order a SRS brake. I'm in Canada so accessing certain things can be a problem. Was considering a 338 Mega, 338 RUM, 338 Win mag. Will be shooting an all copper bullet of some sort in the 225-250 gr, no heavier . Please Leave your opinion and why one of these or a different choice is better. Open to others that I have not listed. Hoping for a velocity in the 2850-3000 FPS range.
I bought one of the first Ruger 77's in 338 Win in the spring of 1973 and still own it to this day, even though the bore is well worn. I love that caliber and have several rifles chambered in things like the 338-06, 338-06AI, 338 RCM, and multiple 338WMs. I've used them on Brown bear, moose, and caribou in Alaska and on elk in NM. I also had a beautiful 340 Weatherby, but sold it, because for me it exceeded my comfort level and I couldn't shoot it without thinking about the recoil (no brake back then), but the bigger 338's might not be an issue for you. The 338 Win would be my recommendation, because the recoil isn't excessive, it kills efficiently, even on the big bears, reloading components are readily available compared to others, and in a pinch, factory ammo can be found in everything from auto parts stores to the big sporting goods dealers in the North Country. Accubonds, Barnes TSX, and Speer cup and core bullets have all performed well for me. Whatever you chose, trust it!

I feel I'd need at least 2 338's now, lol.
Absolutely! There would be the long range one, open country walking around rifle, timber, truck gun, mountain rifle, and another for home protection. Nothing better! Besides, if you have old school chamberings like the 338 Win and 338-06, you might actually be able to find brass, but regardless, you can load any bullets you have in all of them:). Sadly, I do have them all, except for home protection; houses too close and wouldn't want to hurt someone two streets over.

Absolutely! There would be the long range one, open country walking around rifle, timber, truck gun, mountain rifle, and another for home protection. Nothing better! Besides, if you have old school chamberings like the 338 Win and 338-06, you might actually be able to find brass, but regardless, you can load any bullets you have in all of them:). Sadly, I do have them all, except for home protection; houses too close and wouldn't want to hurt someone two streets over.

Use Buggers for home defense…..they'll likely not get past a solid wall hit at high velocity! 😉😂 memtb

To be honest, a pump shotgun loaded with #3 buck shot in either 12 or 20 ga and a 20-22" improved cylinder barrel is the safest and hardest hitting weapon at close range. Can even defeat an assailant with body armor by aiming for the chin or blowing out his knees, femur or bladder. The damage caused by 1-1.25oz of copper plated lead shot within 10 yds is astounding and penetration is deep. You hit him first in the neck or chin he is likely dead or at least knocked down where you can take a follow up shot quickly to the head. The only downside is the mess to clean up afterward. At 10-15yds a Pheasant hit with a 20 ga in the body is so blown apart it's not worth cleaning. At that range I learned how to hit them in the head.

To be honest, a pump shotgun loaded with #3 buck shot in either 12 or 20 ga and a 20-22" improved cylinder barrel is the safest and hardest hitting weapon at close range. Can even defeat an assailant with body armor by aiming for the chin or blowing out his knees, femur or bladder. The damage caused by 1-1.25oz of copper plated lead shot within 10 yds is astounding and penetration is deep. You hit him first in the neck or chin he is likely dead or at least knocked down where you can take a follow up shot quickly to the head. The only downside is the mess to clean up afterward. At 10-15yds a Pheasant hit with a 20 ga in the body is so blown apart it's not worth cleaning. At that range I learned how to hit them in the head.
I've got a 20 ga Mossberg loaded with just that type of medicine. No restrictions on use of toxic shot in my house 😆

Last edited:
Just loaded CEB Lazers in single feed in 265 grain with N570
Shot a 3 shot group that measured .152"
Have not checked velocity yet and need to stretch them out.
8D122200-D685-43FA-8598-1F8331775926.jpeg