Help!! After 13 years of shooting and hunting, it finally happened to me too. Scope misteriously sliding in the rings

You could also bed the scope in the rings.

I started to mention this!

Some folks use a "lapping tool" to true-up the saddles….though if too aggressive and making them larger and matters worse. However, a little file work on the saddle/ring matting area can give a bit more relief and allow re tightening of the scope between the saddle/ring! memtb

I started to mention this!

Some folks use a "lapping tool" to true-up the saddles….though if too aggressive and making them larger and matters worse. However, a little file work on the saddle/ring matting area can give a bit more relief and allow re tightening of the scope between the saddle/ring! memtb
I've been lapping and bedding rings lately. Had some alignment issues with some new weaver rings I'd had for a couple years. Rather than toss them I lapped them out and bedded the scope in them. Was so impressed with the results I've done it to nearly every rifle I've mounted a scope on recently! Another plus with bedding the scope is there won't be any ring marks.

Once Loctite'd and torqued…..they're never touched again, unless I must remove the action from the stock. At that point….simply start the process over! memtb
When i get heavy rain i remove the action from the stock for maintenance but yeah, it seems like i will do it. Worst case scenario how i should totally remove the screws, take off loctite and then reapply it, right?

How? I never thought i could have needed this!
There's a thread on here somewhere. Use JB Kwik epoxy. Coat scope in release compound, then sparingly put the epoxy in the bottom saddle of the rings. Loosely put ring caps on, just snug. After 30 or so minutes you can pop the scope out and clean the excess off the rings with a razor blade.

When i get heavy rain i remove the action from the stock for maintenance but yeah, it seems like i will do it. Worst case scenario how i should totally remove the screws, take off loctite and then reapply it, right?

That's about your only option if you go the Loctite route. If you anticipate removing the action on a routine basis….you probably should forego the Loctite ! Loctite is a bit difficult to remove! memtb

While our (wife and myself) hunting rifles recoil a great deal more than a .308 Win……for many years now when I mount a scope, I use blue Loctite in the saddles to prevent the scope from moving! I also use the blue Loctite on the base and ring screws…..they don't back-out until you take them out! 😉

It's worked fine with up to 60 ft/lbs. recoil! memtb
60? Wth, that's elephant gun recoil numbers. Or turkey loads :D

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will make my torque wrench checked and I will update you :)