Finally after 12 years.............

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
I got on the Montana FWP website today to see how much money I donated this year to the cause instead of getting drawn for permits and was flat out amazed to see I was drawn for a firearm Pronghorn permit here in area 444.

This is the 13 year I have put in for a firearm permit in this area which was broken up by two years I archery hunted them but finally I got that little piece of paper that changes me from a guide into a hunter!!!

Better figure out what I will use on it!!! Any suggestions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

No elk or other big permits though, baby steps I guess!!

Kirby Allen(50)

You would only want to use bullets with a scientifically determined BC and that had been voted on and unamiously accepted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kirby:

First of all, congratulations on being drawn for the antelope permit!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My first inclination, as you could probably guess, would be the 7mm Allen Magnum but that's a little more than you need, and if I remember right, you initially said the 3 smaller brothers of the 7mm AM were designed for long range deer, antelope etc.

Any of the 3 would do the job quite well, but if it was a choice, for me, between the first 3 AM's, I'd pick the 270 Allen Magnum. I know the others would easily do the job, but you went a long time waiting for the permit and if you really have to reach out and touch one under less than favorable conditions, my vote would go for the 270 AM.

But, feel free to use the 7mm Allen Magnum. That would be great with me. Man, what a hard choice. Just remember, everything you read or hear will only be people's opinions and the only one that matters is yours. I won't be surprised no matter what round you choose. Choose what you will and it will work out great. Just be sure to let us know all about it like always.

As far as the bullet goes, I won't even comment because I know what you'll be using!!!!

O.K. now that I've voiced my opinion, I'll get my popcorn and cold drink and sit back and see what the troops have to say. Might be interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiftydriver,
congratulations on the antelope permit!!!
I'm thankfull to the God I serve for the Elk permit I drew for Colorado. I can't wait till November comes.
Good luck in your hunt!

Kirby,

Congrats on the draw. I shot my first antelope near Lewistown MT. I suspect that whatever you take as a primary that the 338 K won't be far away. I expect we will see photos of something in the 17"+ range this fall? Best of luck.

Congrats Kirby,

I sure wish I could have the problem that you are facing. "Out of all these awesome guns that I make, which one do I use????" I am sure you will have great success and a wonderful time. Whatever gun you choose to use, may I suggest using a friend with a video camera as well. I want to sit back and eat my popcorn, snickers bar and drink a pepsi too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Curtis

Well, Guess there is a dead "prong" walkin', just hope you use one of yours and let the rest of us be bystanders! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12 Years? Boy, I thought that a shiras moose permit was tough!
With all this talk about there being less hunters every year, one might think permits would be easier.

For Goats I would use the 338 Kahn with a 350gr Wildcat bullet. Remember Kirby to bust bone on your first shot as you do not want him to get up and charge you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K You could always try out that 7mm 200gr with the J4 jacket. Congrats on the tag and what ever you decide to use will get the job done. Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks for the replies. Ya know this area has had a 30 to 35% draw rate and it has taken me 13 years to get drawn for a permit. My poor dad has yet to get drawn and he started when I did. I would have much rather he gotten drawn to be honest with you but when he does we will be all over hell hunting for his big boy.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit. The 270 and 7mm are certainly the most practical and the most interested in of the family with good reason. Still, I was hoping to use one of those two this fall on a big Alberta Whitetail, preferrably the 7mm with the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

That said, I have alot of them to build and ship before my barrel will even get here so I may not get that one tuned in in time.

The 270 is ready to roll so that one will more then likely get the nod for the Canadian hunt.

Deep down though I have a real soft spot for the 257. Its the little over acheiver that started this mess that you guys have had to put up with for the last several months.

I guess I see it as my baby and can think of nothing better then slipping a 156 gr ULD RBBT though the ribs of a big buck at +1000 yards. This will probably be the one I use for the goat and leave the 270 and 7mm for the general big game season for deer and hopefully a shot at an elk as well.

I have not tested the new Lilja 1-7 257 barrels yet. I have a 30" #5 heavy fluted blank in the shop just waiting to get fitted. If this barrel offers the performance increase that the 1-8 270 barrel did, 3400 fps will be a possiblity with the 156 gr ULD RBBT!!!

Have to see what happens.

No matter what it should be fun. Its always fun hunting these critters but its much more enjoyable when I will actually be packing a rifle. Last time that happened was in the early 1990's!!

There will certainly be a report.

Hope everyone else out there will also be successful this season.

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm struggling a little with the mentality that puts in for a unit like that for so long while there are many other units in the state with nearly 100% draw odds and really good hunting. Unless there are B+C galore in unit 444 I just don't get it??? I have drawn antelope in Montana 11 years straight and the size and quality of bucks have been very good.

Big Sky,

I agree, I could put in for a permit pretty much anywhere east of Great Falls and draw a permit every year.

The reason we put in for this area is because this is the area where we do all of our long range shooting year round. We know the area like the back of our hand and also knwo the herds as well.

We are able to scout at will with no pressure form outsiders such as you get with BLM land and such. I personally feel that while the numbers are not as high as out east, the quality of mature bucks is significantly higher on average.

THis is mainly I believe because the animals feed in alfalfa fields most of the year and produce significant mass on their horns.

Plus, its 10 minutes from my house. I can hunt every day and still get work done in the shop as well and not have to be limited to weekend hunts 300 miles away on ground I am not intimate with.

Lets just say its my back yard and I would rather wait to hunt there then go back east and shoot a goat every year and deal with the other hunters.

The goats here also seem to be much better tasting then sage brush fed goats. I have yet to taste a bad one, even my wifes +80" B7C buck last fall was VERY good eating.

Like I said, being able to hunt at home is what I enjoy the most.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.