Help me finalize an elk rig, or talk me out of it.

Smokepoles

I was putting in for my co elk tags today and remembered I sold my wsm. That's when the voices started in.. Do I take a sporter weight 06 or 270 across the country or finish a build I have sitting aside waiting on a purpose? i don't think I'll be shooting over 4-500 yds or so and don't want to lug my current long range rig around for that. I have a savage short action in a hs pro 2000 varmint stock I've been looking for an excuse to finish, the stock is comfortable for off hand shooting but stable enough to take a poke out there too. My dilemma is that the only big bore short action I have experience with is the 300 wsm and this is a small shank action and not recommended for wsm cartridges. I like the 284 but not sure if there are any issues necking up 6.5-284 brass and can't think of any other short action cartridges for the job. I'd like to keep it light enough for a quick offhand shot as well. Any recommendations on a cartridge and barrel contour length or should I just take the old faithful 06 on the ride of its life? Thanks in advance for helping me put this to bed!

I know exactly how you feel. Me and a buddy are putting an elk hunt together right now. I was dead set on a new rifle. I went back and forth between the 300 wsm and 300 win. I finally decided on the 300 win. I wanted something light enough for elk country but sturdy enough for a longer shot if needed. I was all ready to start shopping when I found out my daughter needs another surgery. So since health insurance is just so great anymore, I've decided to blow the dust off my old 30/06, and hope I can still afford to go. My old 30/06 has killed elk in the past and I'm sure it can do it again.
The 30/06 is a great cartridge. It's killed more critters than any of us could probably count. I'm leaning toward a 168 barnes ttsx, maybe the 175 lrx. If neither of those shoot well I'll try some 180 Accubonds. It'll be nice to get my old friend out again.

Yeah, the old -06 is your huckleberry. More than capable. 180 grn Accubond, maybe some H4350.

Fact is, that 270 win is also plenty. 140 grn Accubond with H4831sc. :D

I had to use my 30-06 this year on my Elk hunt due to not being able to get my New Rem 700 BDL to shoot to my liking. I pulled this gun out of the closet as it hasn't been shot since 1996.

The first two shots were 2 in high at 100 just like it was when I put it away. at 200 yards right in the bullseye. I was thinking, wish my new gun would shoot like this.

Try the 165 gr Nosler Partition. It worked well for me again this year. For shots under 400 yards the Partition is some nice elk medicine.

If I had to pick of the selection you listed, I'd go for the '06, provided the rifle itself is accurate enough to shoot the distances you require. Not saying it is not, I don't know your rifle, but shot placement is just as important as caliber, and if the rifle is inaccurate but chambered for a huge caliber, then you will be as effective as shooting a charging elephant with a .22-250... :cool:

As long as your '06 is an accurate rifle to the distances you require, that would be my choice out of your listed selection.

Thanks guys, I'll probably do that and be happy about breaking her out of retirement at the same time. That short action has been keeping me up at night, maybe I'll sell it and put some new glass on the 06 instead.

Muddy and B@G are right... I'd toss the '06 in the ring and shove a 180 grain + pill in her...
I am really liking the 200 eld-x lately. It shoots 1/2 moa or so for us lately in our 300rum rifles and it is a Hornady pill; ie. I will give predictable game killing power ( no blow-ups or pencil through) every impact, speed or distance the pill is rated for. We've been killing stuff with Hornady bullets for decades here and have full trust in them. I want some of the 212 eld-x to work with here also; that may also be a good pill for you to work with.

Do the 300wsm. There is nothing wrong with the std. Or small shank. My 300wm came with a small shank along time ago and I just rebar relied it to a 264wm. Do the 300wsm and blast a good elk

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.