Talk me out of barrel fluting

fatjake

Putting together a lighterweight elk rifle and trying to justify fluting the thing

700 action
#3 bartlein
Mcmillan game scout
Standard bdl bottom metal

Gonna chamber it in 300win and will be finishing the barrel at 25" and adding a Radial style brake (vias)

To flute or not to flute..... How much weight do you think I could shave?

Worth it or not???

What it's going to cost to buy the barrel and have it fluted, you might as well just buy a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel at 26" and have it fitted to your action. Saves weight, and performs like a bull barrel.

Lightening a rifle is a take the weight where you can kind of thing without it hurting potential accuracy too much . Every ounce counts . Fluting may not be that cost effective compared to the weight reduction but it does remove some weight from the total . I have always been a rifle weight ignorer . When I was younger I trained with a heavy steel bar as a pseudo rifle and once you pick up the gun any gun even an M60 machine gun it feels light . Spending hundreds to take a few ounces of a gun when you could just build up some more muscle for free .

Won't say who, but, they are very reputable, they say that fluting, in their opinion is just ''cosmetic'' has no real use.

People say that fluting is cosmetic because it does not improve the guns accuracy but if you mill off steel you reduce weight , how much for the money is a different story .

fatjake,

The barrel on my Weatherby mark V six lug is .550 at the muzzle. It is 1.09" at the action. Pac-Nor made one for me duplicating the factory contour and adding 2" to the length. After it was chambered I weighed it and then sent it to Twisted barrel. They took seven ounces out of it! That's near a half pound. I think they charged $150.

You can decide from this if it is worth it or not.

What it's going to cost to buy the barrel and have it fluted, you might as well just buy a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel at 26" and have it fitted to your action. Saves weight, and performs like a bull barrel.

$350 barrel + $125 to flute
Or $800 proof barrel. I can still have almost 2 over the carbon barrel

fatjake,

The barrel on my Weatherby mark V six lug is .550 at the muzzle. It is 1.09" at the action. Pac-Nor made one for me duplicating the factory contour and adding 2" to the length. After it was chambered I weighed it and then sent it to Twisted barrel. They took seven ounces out of it! That's near a half pound. I think they charged $150.

You can decide from this if it is worth it or not.

That's answers I'm looking for. Thank you

Lightening a rifle is a take the weight where you can kind of thing without it hurting potential accuracy too much . Every ounce counts . Fluting may not be that cost effective compared to the weight reduction but it does remove some weight from the total . I have always been a rifle weight ignorer . When I was younger I trained with a heavy steel bar as a pseudo rifle and once you pick up the gun any gun even an M60 machine gun it feels light . Spending hundreds to take a few ounces of a gun when you could just build up some more muscle for free .

Perhaps you can say this for most people, but not for most old people. When I was young I lifted and was stronger than most of the men I worked with. When I hit about sixty-five no matter how much I worked out it didn't seem to help. I switched from an eleven pound rifle to a seven pound rifle and can still get to the back country.

People say that fluting is cosmetic because it does not improve the guns accuracy but if you mill off steel you reduce weight , how much for the money is a different story .

Thanks for adding the comment about reduced weight, i was going to add that but, it slipped by me. :). I agree with you in that respect.

I had my heavy Bbl and bolt fluted by Paul at Pro Precision Rifles . First class work , quick turnaround and knocked 10 ounces off of my rifle.

The weight savings is very real , but only you can decide if it's worth your money. For me it was worth it , it contributed to taking my pig from 17 lbs to 9 lbs 14 oz. Other changes included a McMillan edge fill stock and a much lighter optic and rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.