Finally after 12 years.............

Dave,

Many may not believe this but the 257 AM loaded with the 156 gr ULD RBBT give up very little to the big 7mm in ballistic performance out to 1500 yards. Energy, yes it falls short but it has vastly more then any goat would need to be harvested cleanly.

Wind drift is slightly more but less then the 270 AM.

I will not quote any BC values I have come up with as its been very nice just having good conversation on here for the last few days!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whatever I take out will have solid 1000 yard potential, if I will take a shot at that range will have to be decided when the chance arrises. IF conditions are right, then yes, I will take a shot at that range with any of the AMs in my Extreme Sporter rifles.

Kirby Allen(50)

I understand the "close to home" part, but as to the rest I can't agree. I've killed all my lopes east of Great Falls and nearly all of them out of grain or alfalfa fields. In fact, I have never killed one in sage brush country. The only time I ever had any competition was when I hunted near Forsyth, which I decided is entirely too close to Billings! Lastly as for knowing an area well. I wonder how well you'd know a unit out east had you been hunting it the last 11 years in stead of skipping the hunt.

Congrats on the draw. I drew for 481. Its the only draw tag I've had the luck to get so far. It's not my backyard at all but I don't have speed goats in my backyard, just elk and deer.
Ive got this new 243AI I can let you use if you want a real challenge, you've probably seen it because your initials are on it.

Cowboy,

Yes I think I remember that little jem. IF I remember correctly that stock gave me a couple more grey hairs on my old noggin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It did turn out pretty nice and when that stock is finished it will be an extremely classy rifle. When you get the finish work done post some pics, I would love to see it!

Kirby Allen(50)

Big Sky,

While it may seem like I am "Skipping the hunt", I am in fact not doing that at all. Generally someone in my family or close friends gets a permit in this area so I put in alot of time scouting for these permits as well as I am in the area shooting extreme range so often and then I generally am able to get into the area and get the permit holders on the good bucks.

Over the last 5 years alone we have got three bucks that either scored into the books or just barely missed it so I am not Skipping any hunt, I'm just not pulling the trigger.

The hunt last fall with my wife was the best pronghorn hunt I have ever been on. It was my wifes first pronghorn using the first APS rifle to be used on big game, a 257 STW. IT was a special hunt which ended with a great old buck. Not overly long in the horn at 15 3/4" but very good prongs and exceptional mass.

Had the old boy not broken off 2" on the right horn he would have scored in the 85" range but with the deduction he came out around 81.

304234.jpg

This is why I put in for this area because most often at least someone in our family get a permit and we can spend alot of time on that one permit and get that hunter a really quality animal without the pressure of a big group of hunters or other hunters messing up our hunt.

Also, this time of year is when I am finishing up my chucking season as well and I generally do more long and extreme range shooting between September and mid October then any other time of the year, well, the volume just increases at this point dramatically fine tuning the rifle for the upcomming big game season so its not like I am sitting home twiddling my thumbs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Great lope and a pretty wife ta' boot. I would say that was an all around great hunt. I can understand participating in the hunt each year. However, I guess I'm just too greedy to not have my own tag more often. To each their own, and nothing wrong with either choice. Just so's you know's all the big bucks don't live out there. Here's one from out here last year. My pard and I got this one towards the end of the season. Never saw another hunter. This one grossed 82+ he's 16 1/4" and 15 5/8", with a good heavy bases. He was killed with a 300 Win Mag. I like using my custom .257 Weatherby for lopes, so I definitely like your wife's choice for a rifle!
AntelopeKory2.jpg

Great buck!!!

I know full well of the bucks that run in eastern Montana. We were heading over to ft. peck late last summer and came over a hill to almost run into the biggest pronghorn I have every seen. Just guessing he was in the 17 1/2" range with +7" prongs and probably in the VERY high 80" range. If I had to guess I would have to say he was a 89 to 90" buck gross score.

We stopped and watched him and his heard for at least an hour with the spotting scopes before we decided to move on. Everyone in the group, four of us, agreed that was the biggest buck we had ever seen.

There are huge bucks out there for sure, no arguement from me there.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.