Heath Robinson (half ***) barrel tuner

ds

So its Christmas and having plenty of other things I should do I decided I would like to try a barrel tuner on my .22 rimfire. A look at whats on the market is not very inspiring at around 150 - 200 usd for most tuners. Don't want to spend that just to try an idea.

First thought is what thread is on the end of my rifle….1/2" UNF I guess. I found a nut on the seater die stem of an RCBS die that fit. I can use that to measure off when I draw a design up and take it to the engineer so I don't need to take the rifle. What I need then is a tube with an external thread and an adjustable sleve over it. About an hour later (very quick for me) it occurs to me that the seater die will fit on the thread and has an external thread and I can use the locking ring (or multiple locking rings) as the adjustabel weight until I get a heavier fancy sleve made up…might even puit some hole in it just like a muzzle brake.

Pic…barrel with seater die screwed on…in effect a barrel tuner…adjusting the position of the locking ring. If you want high tech Lee locking rings use a rubber "O" ring so you don't need the allen key to lock the ring down when moved.

Note…make sure the hole in the die is bigger than the bullet and if you try it all at your own risk.

David.

DSCN0016.jpg

Ah Ha, so there's another fella out there with the ingenuity of the likes of jimm, buffalobob and myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That's the kind of stuff that makes ya wanna get out of bed in the morning.

As with my innovations "will the **** thing work?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good going ds!!!

Thanks Roy,

Much insparation has come from such classic works as "the milk crate" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David.

You might want to go to some back issues of Precision Shooting where the 22 Guru Extrodinaire (Bill Calfee) has been talking about tuners, slugging 22 barrels and finding the right spot. He also talks about how much weight to put on and why not to thread the ends.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.