Barrel cooler

Rubbing alcohol ( 70 or 90%) with a rag liberally soaked . Rub your barrel back & forth every 10 seconds or so. In about 4 to 5 minutes it cools your barrel right down. The fast evaporation draws the heat out quickly. Try it for your self & see....

Maximum effective cfm cheap DIY. Amazon & Home Depot

Attachments

• diy barrel cooler.jpg
    diy barrel cooler.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 75
I have two of the barrel chillers, work great. Ambient temperature is a key factor in length of time to cool the barrel. I use mine regularly Used them for two hours yesterday, both of them

Last edited:
I bought a regular and get refills on a small nitrogen bottle. I cut the threaded end off a gauge set hose and stick it in the chamber. And set the regulator to the flow I want through the barrel.

I bought a regular and get refills on a small nitrogen bottle. I cut the threaded end off a gauge set hose and stick it in the chamber. And set the regulator to the flow I want through the barrel.
Seing as I use gases here in the auto shop, and I have several small empties & regulators, that was my next option, an inert gas down the barrel.

I too use an air mattress pump. It actually works quite well. I find if you bring a 22 for plinking, your barrel seems to cool down pretty darn fast, with or without a cooler.

I use the magnetospeed barrel cooler. IMHO, the noise is obnoxious and really so if you wear electronic hearing protection that picks up ambient sound. I use it only when nobody else is around. I did add a couple small rubber pads to it to help with the vibration buzz that it sometimes produces against the action but you can't get away from the motor noise. (I can hear it 50 yds away)
I have a hard time believing it makes a significant difference. When I think about exposed external area of the barrel and even just a slight breeze, it is hard for me to believe the internal air push of the relatively small battery powered device through the bore is making a big difference. When I use it, it's mostly because there isn't anything else to do while the barrel cools and I figure it can't hurt.