HBN extened barrel life?

I use it exclusively on my barrels and bullets. I can run a stainless barrel beyond 200 rounds and I dont get any copper. Patch is amazingly clean of carbon as well, like it blows out the muzzle. It does fill in the meplat though, I go in with a small pin drill.

I know that it is a very small amount deposited in the bore but does the coating ever build up to a point that it needs to be removed?, if so how would you get it out?

The good thing is it doesn't stick to anything.
So, you can take it right out of the bore with any solvent. The "melting point" is much higher than what the bullet being fired creates.
So when ever you decided to stop using it, just clean your bore and stop using HBN coated bullets.

I know that it is a very small amount deposited in the bore but does the coating ever build up to a point that it needs to be removed?, if so how would you get it out?
Not really it does not build up too any great degree between what would be your normal cleaning sessions even if you did not clean for several hundred rounds.
Unlike MoS2 Moly which does build up more . However there is positives and negatives on both sides . The thicker laminar layers of Moly will give greater flame protection as long as you are not cleaning it out too often . HBN is the easy choice as it is cleaner and easier to coat and use .
MoS2 Moly takes a bit more complicated process to coat properly but once the process is right the results are good . They both work but HBN is good if you want a simpler process that is hard to screw up .

If you want to clean your bore of HBN, use acetone. But as stated, HBN doesn't build up in the bore to be problematic in that manner.

I started with David Tubbs Kit, and refilled with the .5 micron from Bullet coatings.com. I actually got better results with the stuff from Bullet coatings.

So the kit comes with you 1oz of .5 micron hbn , they say that this is enough to do a few thousand bullets.
I'll need to buy a new vibratory tumbler, what size am I going to need?
I'm guessing that the vibratory method may be gentler on the open tips. ??

Rotary Tumbling will not damage meplats if steel buffer media is used .
Tumbling big calibers without any buffering can sometimes ding up meplats .
These 30 cal hunting bullets have been rotary tumbled for 3 x 20 minute sessions at double the speed of a commercial tumbler with steel balls and are not damaged , quite the contrary they have been smoothed out and improved somewhat .

Attachments

• 1-100_0546.jpg
    1-100_0546.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 74
So the kit comes with you 1oz of .5 micron hbn , they say that this is enough to do a few thousand bullets.
I'll need to buy a new vibratory tumbler, what size am I going to need?
I'm guessing that the vibratory method may be gentler on the open tips. ??

Broz uses a rotary tumbler with good results. I just had a vibratory tumbler already so I used it. It's been observed, that the meplats come out more uniform after the process..

More uniform with vibratory vs tumble??

No, they come out very uniform in the vibratory as well.
Have you ever looked at say, Berger bullets meplats? You know how they are always uneven and kinda inconsistent? When you tumble them they become consistent, maybe slightly bigger but I haven't observed any BC changes or anything like that.

On the Bullet Coating.com page it states that HBN is very sensitive to water !
How can this be good for hunting conditions? Anyone see any negative effects of rain/ humidity on HBN.

Attachments

• 20170504_061518.jpg
    20170504_061518.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 61
I think that when it stored, it can clump up in the container. The application in the bore and bullets shouldn't be a problem and hasn't been a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts