HBN barrel treatment

shphtr

I have a new rifle that I want to start shooting HBN treated bullets in. I also want to treat the barrel with HBN. I have received the HBN from Barrel Coatings but the kit I rec'd gives no guidelines as to the proportions to mix the HBN with the alcohol. If anyone could supply me with the mixing guidelines I would be most appreciative. Thanking you in advance. Jim

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/hexagonal-boron-nitride-151457/

The search bar is your friend. This thread has alot of info starting from a couple years ago to pretty recent. I have used it in a couple rifles and believe (like some others) that you see more gains in relation to velocity with 30 cal or larger bores. I am going to give it a go again in my 300 SS and possibly 338 edge to see what I gain.

I believe I used a teaspoon of HBN to 16 oz. of 90% or better isopropyl alcohol. I'll have to check my notes, but im certain that's what Jeff (Broz) told me he used. It works well for me.

G 3006 - Thanx, that is what I was looking for. I have read the several threads pertaining to HBN (one was quite long) and remember Broz saying the mixing directions came with the kit and to use at least 90% alc but no mixing directions came with my kit from Bullet Coatings.

The other question is, since the boron coating decreases the coefficient of static friction so much does one have to make some adjustment in neck tension, like for instance decreasing your usual bushing size by one?

G 3006 - Thanx, that is what I was looking for. I have read the several threads pertaining to HBN (one was quite long) and remember Broz saying the mixing directions came with the kit and to use at least 90% alc but no mixing directions came with my kit from Bullet Coatings.

The other question is, since the boron coating decreases the coefficient of static friction so much does one have to make some adjustment in neck tension, like for instance decreasing your usual bushing size by one?

I didn't have to adjust neck tension. I'm interested in hearing if it was a problem for others though.

I have a new rifle that I want to start shooting HBN treated bullets in. I also want to treat the barrel with HBN. I have received the HBN from Barrel Coatings but the kit I rec'd gives no guidelines as to the proportions to mix the HBN with the alcohol. If anyone could supply me with the mixing guidelines I would be most appreciative. Thanking you in advance. Jim

If you use 91% alcohol the suspension will settle out a little. I've read if you order 100% it will stay suspended.

I used 1.5 teaspoons for 12 oz.

You just mix it to a usable paste that suits the way you want to apply it .

Don't make a paste texture to coat your bore. You'll have serious over pressure. The HBN alcohol solution you swab a clean bore with should have the look and viscosity of skim milk.

1 1/2 teaspoons HBN in 12 to 16 oz alcohol is about what I use. Let the alcohol in the bore evaporate prior to firing a bullet down the treated bore

Don't make a paste texture to coat your bore. You'll have serious over pressure. The HBN alcohol solution you swab a clean bore with should have the look and viscosity of skim milk.

1 1/2 teaspoons HBN in 12 to 16 oz alcohol is about what I use. Let the alcohol in the bore evaporate prior to firing a bullet down the treated bore

I said " usable paste that suits the way you want to apply it " That means from a very thin mixture to as thick as you want . Not a specific thick paste .
And you don't leave great gobs of it in the bore after application .
Anyway if you have to coat the bore to see any improvements then the bullet coating is no good.

Well.... I'm down to only one rifle that's not shooting hex coated bullets. I just coated my Colt competition match Hbar. I just put a 5r 1-8 twist on it and thought I would go ahead and coat it.
That leaves a Delton carbine that's not hex coated. That's because I have 10,000 plus 55 grain FMJ already loaded.

Last week I coated bullets and barrels for three different rifles. I have about 20 to 25 rounds shot through each of them. The bullets definitely took the HBN and I swabbed the barrel well with the HBN solution.
My ES and SD have not shown any improvement, in fact they have increased.

How may rounds should it take to see improvements?

It usually takes me about 25 rounds or so to get the barrel "seasoned".
Some more some less.
Did you rework your load? I don't get serious with a load work up until I get about 30 rounds thru the barrel. Then I do another load work up.
I normally go past my initial load some, usually I go to the next velocity node just because I can with the hex. That's where I have always got the best ES and Sd.
I never got my best Es until I get closer to max loads that's with any rifle with or with out the hex.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.