HBN extened barrel life?

I am not sure I understand what the point of this is... HBN, at least in my case wasnt used to prevent rust. I still clean my guns and reapply in the bore when appropriate and I dont believe anyone ever suggested it should be applied and then never touched again.

I believe they did , it was suggested in this thread I think that HBN will prevent rust in the bore .

Pretty good test, but flawed in my opinion with standard used.
I think you would need a barrel, fire 100 rounds of HBN coated bullets thru it and see if there is a difference.
Extreme heat and pressure tends to change things.

HBN has no reputation for extending bore life due to corrosion resistance, to my knowledge. It can reduce bore fouling, which can make it easier to clean the bore. It might extend bore life due to reduced erosion from bore flame
/heat/pressure.

If you'd like to reduce moisture-related bore corrosion in a CM steel bore, consider melonite treatment VERY early, just after barrel breakin.

Or buy a SS barrel.

HBN has no reputation for extending bore life due to corrosion resistance, to my knowledge. It can reduce bore fouling, which can make it easier to clean the bore. It might extend bore life due to reduced erosion from bore flame
/heat/pressure.

If you'd like to reduce moisture-related bore corrosion in a CM steel bore, consider melonite treatment VERY early, just after barrel breakin.

Or buy a SS barrel.
Didn't you say you were having good luck with HBN in .223?
Thinking about doing my Colt Hbar with a stainless barrel.

Re: HBN extend barrel life?

Didn't you say you were having good luck with HBN in .223?

The only .223 I own is an AR-15. I do HBN coat all bullets fired in that AR. It does reduce the fouling in the bore. I don't hunt with it much at all, but I like it to be accurate. More fun shooting accurate guns...

I couldn't say much about improvements other than the bore does foul less with the HBN coated bullets than it used to shooting bare copper jacketed bullets. Which is alway nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.