Barrel Life?

Triple BB

Have a 300 RUM with a Hart SS barrel. My loads tend to be on the warmer side. I know there's different variables, but for you guys that have experience what's a reasonable expectation on the number of shots I might get before accuracy starts to drop off...

Have a 300 RUM with a Hart SS barrel. My loads tend to be on the warmer side. I know there's different variables, but for you guys that have experience what's a reasonable expectation on the number of shots I might get before accuracy starts to drop off...

Don't worry about it. each barrel/load combination is different and if you maintain the barrel well.
it will last a long time, shoot it and enjoy it until it happens and even then the barrel it's self will not be gone. Only the throat, and setting the shoulder back will normally bring it back to life.

The most harm comes from firing it to fast and not allowing the barrel time to cool off. the big magnums with lots of powder generate lots of heat and 2 or 3 shots in quick succession can exceed the recommended temperature for longer barrel life.

J E CUSTOM

don't worry about it. Each barrel/load combination is different and if you maintain the barrel well.
It will last a long time, shoot it and enjoy it until it happens and even then the barrel it's self will not be gone. Only the throat, and setting the shoulder back will normally bring it back to life.

The most harm comes from firing it to fast and not allowing the barrel time to cool off. The big magnums with lots of powder generate lots of heat and 2 or 3 shots in quick succession can exceed the recommended temperature for longer barrel life.

J e custom
this ^^^^^^^

1600 rounds through mine. Going to re barrel to a EDGE this winter. The gun still will hold 1 MOA out to 700 yds. Load has been fairly mild shooting 91 gr of H1000 and 215 Bergers. Stock Sendero barrel. As JE says just don't get it hot and it will last you a long time.

It matters where you're hunting baseballs then..
I predict accurate barrel life of 1200 -tops. And many don't actually reach that.
RUMs are not famous for barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.