Barrel Life

Unfortunately, I don't know how to attach it here. So PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.
If anyone knows how I could attach a small excel spreadsheet, please post the answer here. That would be great

I can't find right now,,, but there was a diagram of cartridges that were considered to be barrel burners if they were in the category of """1000""" and """higher""" if I recall...

The idea falls into the over bore...

Examples were
270 Winchester at 1.700 points
308 Winchester at 0.837 points

There were 30+ cartridges in the list from lowest flash burn to highest...

Over bore cartridges seem to be known as """barrel burners,,, my 6.5/06 will flash burn the throat waaaaay faster than my 30/06...

Other factors play a role as well...

Kool down time between the shots,,, how well the rifling is kept clean,,, the charge of powder,,, material of barrel,,, ect.......

High pressure loads vers low pressure,,, the type of powder along with a few other factors...

Most of us know that erosion happens at the leed of the throat,,, the rest of the rifling still looks good even though the leed cone where the bullets start into the lands takes the brunt of the burn for 4" to 6" since the gases are super hot...

Think of it as a quick flash of a cutting touch tip going pop for a split second,,, that little hot pop of touch tip flame on the skin of human flesh will burn you bad... 1600+ degrees of flash will melt steel barrels fast...

Stainless steel barrels have been known to last a bit longer since they with-stand a fraction more heat flash...

Some F Class 308 Winchester Palma contour stainless steel barrels have lasted for 4800 to 5000+++ rounds down the pipe,,, some into the 8000+ range...

Let's not forget that a 1/2 MOA to 1 MOA pipe is most likely still good for normal hunting applications... If a person needs 1/4" to 1/2" MOA,,, then change the barrel before the groups start to spread...

If I shoot a 10 shot group then my friend uses my rifle to do the 10 shot,,, we will know if the barrel needs replacing...

More outters then inners is barrel change out time """so long""" as the rest of the shooting equipment on the rifle is up to task...

We need more inners if we're going into competion,,, 60% or higher is a good place to start... LOL

There's alot more to this then what I can share since its ruffly 7 to 10 pages of info... The World Wide Web has lots of this info that will get a person up to speed...

Little tricks of the trade...

Cheers from the North

Unfortunately, I don't know how to attach it here. So PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.
If anyone knows how I could attach a small excel spreadsheet, please post the answer here. That would be great
Try this Click upload file right next to the post reply button find your document click to highlight it click open and it should load to your reply.

Attempted upload of .XLS spreadsheet named with .JPG extension.
Didn't work.. This site upload function does not see it in this state

If one thinks of unburnt powder as sand blasting media (which in a way, it is!); the LESS powder in a cartridge, with the bore size the same, the barrel and throat life should be better!!! :cool:

Kernel size also matters in my experience, same as sand blasting.

Heat index of a particular powder is a huge factor, also.

Got it with Andy Backus's help! He is an Editor of this page!
That video did not show how to post a spreadsheet. Just a picture, like this:
Sky.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.