H-1000 in stock

I helped keep their shelves empty a few weeks ago and bought to 8-lb. jugs. Had about half of one left, so I have about 20 lb. Works great with my 338-378. My pet round thus far is Nosler 250 gr Accubond. Probly going to go out today and warm up for deer season.
I use the same load in my 338-378! 107.0 grains gets me .6-.7 moa from a factory Accumark.

H1000 is a great powder for the 300 Win mag as well. I use it with 208 Amax's in a couple of rifles with excellent results. I've found it in stock a few times during the past year on gunbot but it does sell out within a few hours.

I use the same load in my 338-378! 107.0 grains gets me .6-.7 moa from a factory Accumark.

H1000 is a great powder for the 300 Win mag as well. I use it with 208 Amax's in a couple of rifles with excellent results. I've found it in stock a few times during the past year on gunbot but it does sell out within a few hours.

what load are you running with the 208 A-Max? All particulars on rifle would be nice also. I bought some 208's recently to try.

what load are you running with the 208 A-Max? All particulars on rifle would be nice also. I bought some 208's recently to try.
76.0-78.0 of H1000 loaded to 3.600" with a Federal 215 and Norma brass.

The first rifle I tried this load in is a Cooper 56 with 26" barrel and no brake. I just tried 3.600" at random, which was about .050" off the lands in this gun. First trip to the range I got a 3/8" group (100 yds) with the 76.0 grain charge. That is still my load for this gun.

Later I tried this bullet and powder in a Snowy Mtn rifle which has a 26" barrel and their muzzle brake. I have never been able to make this gun shoot exceptionally well, but the load it likes best so far is 76.8 grains H1000, also loaded to 3.600". I tried other seating depths with this gun, but the 3.600" was the best. It's a consistent 5/8 moa load. This gun was not bedded however.

More recently I've been working up loads for a friend's Rem 700 5R with the 24" threaded barrel. It likes 78.0 grains (1/2" groups) with the same brass and primer. Also at 3.600", and I have not tried any other length.

When researching what a good load for 300WM might be (using the 208s) I found several people saying their load was 76.8 of H1000.

During load development for the first 2 guns I also tried Ramshot Magnum (very similar to MagPro) and PP4000MR. Neither one grouped worth horse puckey.

The first rifle I tried this load in is a Cooper 56 with 26" barrel and no brake. I just tried 3.600" at random, which was about .050" off the lands in this gun. First trip to the range I got a 3/8" group (100 yds) with the 76.0 grain charge. That is still my load for this gun.

Later I tried this bullet and powder in a Snowy Mtn rifle which has a 26" barrel and their muzzle brake. I have never been able to make this gun shoot exceptionally well, but the load it likes best so far is 76.8 grains H1000, also loaded to 3.600". I tried other seating depths with this gun, but the 3.600" was the best. It's a consistent 5/8 moa load. This gun was not bedded however.

More recently I've been working up loads for a friend's Rem 700 5R with the 24" threaded barrel. It likes 78.0 grains (1/2" groups) with the same brass and primer. Also at 3.600", and I have not tried any other length.

When researching what a good load for 300WM might be (using the 208s) I found several people saying their load was 76.8 of H1000.

During load development for the first 2 guns I also tried Ramshot Magnum (very similar to MagPro) and PP4000MR. Neither one grouped worth horse puckey.
When the powder gets to me I'll start a little lower and see if it works for me. Thanks for your time and info. I have 100 of the 208's on my loading bench.

Matador, do you happen to know what the volume difference is between the Norma Brass and the PPU brand? PPU was all I could find when I was gathering components. The brass seems to be well made but that doesn't say a whole lot. Maybe you or someone here can give me an assessment of the PPU vs other head stamped brass. It is all I have to start but at least it is a start. Win. Mag. primers are also what was in stock and I got 1000 of them. Fed. primers are all but non existing right now.

Matador, do you happen to know what the volume difference is between the Norma Brass and the PPU brand? PPU was all I could find when I was gathering components. The brass seems to be well made but that doesn't say a whole lot. Maybe you or someone here can give me an assessment of the PPU vs other head stamped brass. It is all I have to start but at least it is a start. Win. Mag. primers are also what was in stock and I got 1000 of them. Fed. primers are all but non existing right now.
I have no idea what the PPU stuff is like but Norma is higher capacity than most. Seating the bullets out to 3.600" gives me a little more room as well. Hodgdon's data indicates 78.0 grains max but I have no pressure signs with that load. As usual you should start lower and work up.

I think Fed primers are a little hotter than the Winchesters. That may alter the pressure curve a little but they are still plenty hot for a 300 mag.

I have no idea what the PPU stuff is like but Norma is higher capacity than most. Seating the bullets out to 3.600" gives me a little more room as well. Hodgdon's data indicates 78.0 grains max but I have no pressure signs with that load. As usual you should start lower and work up.

I think Fed primers are a little hotter than the Winchesters. That may alter the pressure curve a little but they are still plenty hot for a 300 mag.

I'm measuring 3.601" on the 208 A-Max also. That is from base to tip measurement.

I haven't loaded or fired anything yet. Just putting things together for starters.

Primers I have are Win., CCI, and some old Alcan Mag. primers. The Alcan is reserved for a very accurate 190 gr. SMK load in 30/06 though.

H1000 has been very, very hard to find in Alaska.

Powder Valley had it and sold out very quick. I don't know if they ship to AK. but I suspect they will get more in shortly. You need to check daily and order on the spot to get it. I just received my 8 lbs. a few minutes ago. Took 3 days to Louisiana from Kansas! Might take 3 weeks to you. UPS was the carrier.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.