FL resize question

slas

Had some prepped and primed Nosler 280ai once fired brass I had gotten in a trade. Not trusting the work of others, I started checking the size on them and they were all over the place, so I deprimed them, annealed (by hand) and started my regular process. Set my FL Redding die to size the shoulder at 2.131 (For my Cooper M52) using the headspace comparator. Use imperial wax on all. I began sizing and checking and noticed that I started hitting some cartridges that refused to size down correctly. They would be at, say 2.133 or 2.134. I'd run it through again with a little more force and the same thing. So I set them aside. I went ahead and did the rest of the batch of 30 and ended up with about 4-5 that were "fighting" the resize. I reset the FL die lower and got them sized down to 2.131 and checked that they'd chamber correctly. Just for grins I took another cartridge that needed sizing and ran it through the die to check size, this one now read 2.129. So, it appears that many cartridges sized perfect at the original setting, but several wouldn't.

My question, as you might have guessed, is what's the issue here. I questioned if the annealing possibly made most of the brass "easier" for resizing, but the outliers didn't get annealed enough. I'm not sure what to think but I'm sure, as always, you guys can share some wisdom as to my question.

Wonder if those cases were from the high end of a pressure test. Anneal again then resize but leave ram up for few seconds. Sounds dumb but it does help
I got them sized where I need them now so probably just going to load and fire in my rifle. Be interesting to see if I run into the same problem on the next reload of them.

Last edited:
I questioned if the annealing possibly made most of the brass "easier" for resizing, but the outliers didn't get annealed enough. I'm not sure what to think but I'm sure, as always, you guys can share some wisdom as to my question.
That was kind of my first reaction, a couple of pieces were less done than the rest. What process are you using? If flame by hand, did you notice any you had to hold in longer?

If you have them marked, mic neck thickness after you shoot them, if they're thicker than the rest my bet is those just needed a little longer in the heat to reset them. NBD going forward if they shoot fine.

If they shoot differently, IMO cull them instead of spending brain power figuring out exactly what makes them different.