FL resize case troubles **Updated**

Re: FL resize case troubles

"2)Resizing according to the Lee instruction that came with the Deluxe Rifle Set. I don't know how to check the shoulder and then "bump" it back only 1 or 2 thou."

You are correct that a dedicated RCBS "Precision Case Mic" for your cartridge or the Hornady/Stoney Point case measurement tool to attach to your dial caliper can measure the shoulder-to-head length of a fired case, to the datum line.

Your head seprations are due to excessive stretching of the case wall just forward of the thick part. It's an ugly thing that can be DANGEROUS! The "bright ring" you see is an "incipent head seperation", meaning that ring is the only visible early warning sign, don't reload any such cases, they are done!

Your die is pushing the shoulder back too far in order to reduce the body diameter enough to chamber, it's a fairly common event with belted chambers and that's why the "Innovative Technologies" sizer mentioned above was marketed. Your chamber is one of those that can benefit from that expensive collet type body sizer if you want your brass to last longer.

Last edited:

Limbic ........

I've seen this symptom a jillion times. In fact, I patented the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die a few years ago and have sold over 2,500 of them so far. I originally sold them through MidwayUSA, Lock Stock & Barrel, Midsouth, R.W. Hart & Son, and Cabela's (for 2 years). However, when product liability insurance got too expensive (a major problem in this industry) I began selling them directly from my website.

I've talked to hundreds of shooters about this symptom, and here's what I've found:

* Many shooters don't realise that belted magnum handloads should be headspaced on the shoulder - not the belt.

* Too many shooters are pushing their case shoulder back too far by following their die instructions to the letter.

* Shooters often suspect "out of round chambers", "headspace problems", "defective dies" and "lousy brass" without ever measuring case width above the belt.

At the moment, our dies are sold out, but I'll have more in stock when (and if) the economy improves. Read my website, and you'll see exactly what's causing this popular reloading symptom. It's explained there in great detail. I've also patented a much "better mousetrap" than the RCBS Precision Mic. How about a Digital Headspace Gauge that works on ANY caliber? (They will be available on my homepage in about 2 weeks.)

- Innovative

Hi Larry,
Thanks for fleshing out my post regarding the "better mousetrap" As I posted it was problem solved when I began using your die.
The other thing that is really good to look at is your website there is a lot of good information on reloading and shooting issues.
Regards,
Bob.

Update.

After going to the range I measured the shoulder as well as the brass at several different areas.

Rechambering the brass was difficult if possible at all. Headspace gauge measured at -.004. 0 being standard it measured at 46. RCBS headspace gauge.

Just above the belt fired brass measured 2 to 3 thou above factory standards.

Neck resize didn't help with inability to chamber

I put in the FL resize die and backed it out 1/3 - 1/4 turn. Shaved .002 off of the base and didn't change the headspace much at all. Maybe .001. Chambers fine now but obviously shaving brass of the side of your cartidge isn't all that great.:rolleyes:

How do you get a rimmed case to headspace on the shoulder? When looking at a chamber on a rimmed case there is enough room that there seems no way to headspace on the shoulder only the rim.

linksmechanic,

Sometimes, a picture is worth 1,000 words. You can now measure headspace clearance on a rimmed, belted or any other case that has a shoulder. Check out our patented Digital Headsace Gauge.

headspaceBC400.JPG

These units are only available from my website, and I'll hope to have them ready to ship this Fiday. You can read all about these new gauges on this page: Headspace Separation
(The operating instructions are also there to see.)​

- Innovative​

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.