Rcbs FL question.

This might help you out a bit.
Your rcbs die has 14 threads per in.
Here's the math.
1÷14=.0714 per turn
.0714÷360 degrees = .00019 (.0002 for this)
.0002x10=.002
10 degrees = .002
360÷36=10 so 1/36th of a turn = .002

Most people move their die way too much when trying to set up for bumping the shoulder back.

Until you actually touch the shoulder, you won't get consistent results. The shoulder will move because of the pressure on the neck, sometimes even slightly grow right before you actually bump it back. The datum line can be pushed out slightly as the neck is being sized, and is then corrected when it makes contact with the die.

Good luck, hope this helps.

This is good advice, and exactly the problem I came across years ago with my .243

Untill you get a consistent bump on the shoulder or touching the shoulder enough to return it to where it began it will be all over the shop.
I FL size all my .243 brass this way, not pushing the shoulder back past where it was fire formed after one load, but the die will need to contact the shoulder to return it to where it began because the shoulder grows forward while sizing the body.

Another common mistake is measuring once fired brass. Usually it takes two to fully form to your chamber.
If your once fired brass still chambers pretty easy, neck size and shoot it again, you should have a good idea of what your chamber is measuring ar that point. It's going to be tight if you chamber that brass again, if not do the same again.
I shoot a very safe very accurate load out of my .260 with lapua brass, it takes 3 firings to fully form the brass.
I've screwed this up a million times, getting your brass sized right is really important, and not that hard to do, but there are plenty of ways to mess it up.

Your right and the directions in the box are definatly Not the way to do so. It's so crazy I get guys who have loaded for more than 40 years and freak out when I show them how. I though long and hard last night who it was that taught me that and I couldn't put a finger on it. But I know it was during my 6ppc days.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.